1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    it's harder on tools, yes, but we're talking about high-production or high-use scenarios, over a long period of time. and it does take a bit more work to level and crown, but most independent luthiers spend forever doing that anyway.
    so this... is not really an issue in this case. I wouldn't worry about this slowing anything down.
    I personally haven't felt any significant difference between nickel and SS, but I very rarely bend, and dress my frets pretty regularly.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  2. My Rickenbacker 4000 has the same frets when I bought it in 1978 and it plays as well as any bass I have picked up since.

I think at this point a Darrin Huff bass with barbed wire frets would be a step in the right direction.

3. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Clearly, you have idea what you are talking about. Stop.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Why not correct what you think is wrong rather than ordering a stranger to stop talking as if you're an authority figure? That's how dialogue works.

StayLow, jackn1202, Chrisk-K and 7 others like this.
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

According to Darrin, he is not taking new orders. Yes, he's building guitars along with the back-ordered basses, but he insists that he will only sell finished product, no money taken in advance. The guitars are to cover living expenses, as he's now working full time as a luthier and won't make much from the basses (which were paid at least 50% up front; 100% in some cases).

Skepticism is reasonable, but unless you know something the rest of us don't, then it's false to claim that he's taking new orders.

6. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    Proof is in the pudding as they say. When I see the customers get their basses they paid for, then I'll believe.
    Question what about customers who paid half down over ten years ago and now may not even be playing? Should they pay the other half? I don't know if there are many but I'm curious

Rob Martinez likes this.
  7. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    Has anyone received a bass, or at least heard from this luthier lately?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  8. Fuzzbass

On his FB page there have mostly been guitar updates, but also some bass updates -- mostly pictures of necks in progress.

Given that I've had no direct updates from Darrin since late September, it seems unlikely that my bass will be done by the end of the year.

Rob Martinez and Pbassmanca like this.
  9. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    Thanks for the update, Fuzzbass. I see that you are the OP here - upon reading your first post, is this correct that you've now been waiting for 15 years?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  10. Fuzzbass

That's correct. My thread happens to have been the one that was stickied, but there are a few others who have been waiting longer than I.

Rob Martinez and Pbassmanca like this.
  11. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    I'm sorry.

12. Sorry to hear that Fuzz but i can't say i'm surprised.

Did the Iceland bass arrive or was it also another empty promise by Darrin?

Fuzzbass and Rob Martinez like this.
  13. The Robman

The Robman

Jun 15, 2017
    The Iceland bass was shipped by Darrin to an address in Canada (the guy in Canada is a friend of the guy in Iceland), so now those two will work out how to get the bass from Canada to Iceland.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  14. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    ?
    This makes very little sense. Not saying that it isn't true, but this makes very little sense for a bass that someone had been waiting and waiting for to go unclaimed this way.

15. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    If you have waited 20 years for something, you probably don't care about a couple more months. I would bet the purchaser has moved on with his or her life.

EddiePlaysBass and Fuzzbass like this.
  16. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    I would think the opposite would be true.

17. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    1 or 2 years on a waiting list that you expected at the purchase time, surely you will be excited at the end of the wait. Buying something then never expecting to get it or waiting for two decades...I would think you would have moved on. I'm guessing that the people who bought basses have bought other basses and some have changed tastes over that time.

18. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    It was an arrangement reached between @Kristjankisi and Darrin due to the high cost of shipping directly to Iceland. It may be unorthodox, but if it was agreeable to both parties then there's nothing wrong with it.

Ikkir, Fuzzbass, bdgotoh and 3 others like this.
  19. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Perhaps you should read this thread, every bit of proof about this is in here. It really doesn't matter what you think, "makes sense."

20. roogbass

roogbass Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Eich endorser.
    But it wóuld make sense to have the friend in canada open the box and check what’s inside.
    Make some pictures and put them on talkbass to reassure the other ‘waiters’ that there ís light at the other end of the proverbial tunnel?