1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    Bellicosity seems to be a constant with many of your posts.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The friend in Canada took pictures and provided them to the owner. I don't recall whether they were posted in this thread or not.

3. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Really?

guy n. cognito likes this.
  4. roogbass

roogbass Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Eich endorser.
    Why the sarcasm?

Gunga Din likes this.
  5. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Yeh, that was uncalled for.

6. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    All this has been covered a few times within the thread. Maybe ya’ll could make the effort to catch up. Why question the buyer’s actions?

7. roogbass

roogbass Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Eich endorser.
    I just tried to help.
    I apologize for my stupid post.

Gunga Din likes this.
  8. Fuzzbass

That's how I interpreted your post.

Gunga Din likes this.
  9. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Sorry. It just seemed to me that once again we were calling into question this buyer’s requested delivery arrangement. He explained it once here.

gln1955 likes this.
  10. By any measurement by anyone who has ever purchased a bass by mail or special delivery, it is a very strange arrangement. Not so much in HOW it is being executed, just in how long it is taking or has taken for the bass to be delivered from Darrin to the purchaser in Iceland. Especially after waiting so long for the bass.

To be fair, neither I nor a lot of people here are privy to inside info nor do we have access to it, for all we know the bass is being played happily in Reykjavik. But all I have to go on is what I read here, a public forum about a very abnormal situation.

I know, I know, the temptation is to tell those of us who have no horse in this race to stay out of it, which perhaps we should, and I try my best to do. But some of this stuff is beyond rational comprehension.

PLEASE keep in mind, we are all ROOTING for you folks to get your basses! I think we all, like spectators watching a football match, want to see a GOAL! A SCORE!! Someone get their BASS! :)

Keyser Soze, roogbass, BAG and 4 others like this.
  11. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Please read the thread. That’s all I suggest.

Here’s what has been posted here: The bass has been delivered to the buyer’s friend in Canada at the buyer’s request. The arrangement is that the friend will deliver the bass to the buyer when the friend visits Iceland. This final delivery is between the buyer and his friend and does not involve the builder. Whether this makes sense to any of us should beside the point; it was the buyer’s choice. (Now, correct me, and please forgive me, if I have something wrong in my summary from memory.)

12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    This was months ago. I'm betting it's not going to happen.

Rob Martinez likes this.
  13. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I would imagine trips to Iceland take some planning, and I’ll bet summer is a better time to visit than winter. Regardless, the buyer made this arrangement, so I’d guess he considered these issues.

Rob Martinez likes this.
  14. Not that I have much constructive substance to add to the conversation, but this topic does hit close to home, so to speak. Geographically, and then some.

One of my best friends is D.Q., one of his best friends is Terry Huff. Terry is Darrin's dad. I have had a few conversations with D.Q regarding Darrin's business. Darrin and I tried to arrange a 'live show test drive' of one of his basses many many years ago, when I was gigging. The test drive wasn't able to happen for reasons I cannot remember. I hope to cross paths with Darrin again someday, just to see how he is doing, since he is a friend of a friend.

Rob Martinez and Garret Graves like this.
  15. It is besides the point. Still, this is a public forum open to opinions, comments and rebuttals. As such, many spectators want to see a "win" and want to see a bass delivered. Nothing wrong with that. If it is such a personal issue, then close this thread and we will all be none the wiser for it.

I get it. The buyer could be willing to wait another year for the bass. No biggie.

I have read the thread. That's why I know the particulars, which are not all that normal. There is NOTHING normal here that I have read, so far. I have bought and sold basses overseas and know the costs involved.

If a person has in excess of $8,000 to order a custom bass, it is not unreasonable to expect they can afford to have the bass delivered to them.

nomaj likes this.
  16. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    As requested earlier in this thread, I try to refrain from posting as all I am is a spectator.

Having said that...

What anyone can or can't afford, or chooses to pay or not, I don't think it is any of our business. If the owner should choose to have it delivered by a penguin on an iceberg, it may sound strange but it is totally his choice.

Also, you say you have bought and sold multiple basses overseas, have any of these been to Iceland?

I ask because travelling and shipping to and from Iceland is no easy task. It makes Florida to Alaska a walk in the park in comparison. I say this from experience, not regarding basses, but regarding multiple projects I have dealt with in Iceland.

You are obviously free to have your opinion and post it (unless a mod decides otherwise) but that certainly doesn't mean it is correct.

And with that, I apologize again for cluttering this thread even more and move back to the silent support group.

17. Fuzzbass

Not unreasonable under normal circumstances, but as you said there's nothing normal here. In this case, the instrument was purchased and paid for (minimum 50%, possibly 100%) 15 years ago, give or take. The financial situation of the buyer could easily have changed in that time.

Tangential point: FWIW the Huff basses were in the $2k - $4k range. (I'm guessing: my order was $2.5k, and it wasn't one of the fancier ones such as Kristjian's). Even way back then it was a great deal, and it's safe to say that many of us were tempted by the sales pitch of "I'm selling my basses for super low prices until I get my name established". Which was a reasonable pitch, and if Darrin had managed to deliver in a timely manner then I believe his strategy would have been effective, and his name would have been established for the right reasons.

18. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    We're betting now? $50 on "is going to happen."

19. Fair enough, and good points. I honestly hope all of you get your basses, and $4000 is quite reasonable and tempting for a custom bass. I truly am not trying to stir any pots here! :)

Fuzzbass likes this.
  20. If the owner has it delivered by a penguin on an iceberg, well, I certainly want to hear about that when it happens! ;)

jackn1202 likes this.