1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    But no deposit required.

Baby steps....

Pbassmanca, Rob Martinez and cataract like this.
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Darrin recently posted some pics of a scroll bass that he's working on. I tried to post that here but got a FB permissions issue (maybe I did it wrong). Anyway, he claims that he's done with scroll basses, and that the Zeller basses will be more conventional bolt-ons. So the big question will be whether any Zeller basses are built and sold before all the backordered basses are completed.

Pbassmanca and Pendulous like this.
  3. Fuzzbass

Pbassmanca and BadJazz like this.
  4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The last sentence of the first paragraph is, hopefully, promising.

Pbassmanca and Fuzzbass like this.
  5. Eneade

Eneade

Jun 14, 2008
    France
    Some news of Kristjian's bass would be very much appreciated now...

Pendulous and Pbassmanca like this.
  6. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    He hasn’t been on TB since 11/8, so anything could have happened between now and then. Hopefully it’s all positive.

7. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    After ripping off so many people, I guess stringing them along with tidbits of hope is the reason he still has a working pair of kneecaps.

8. Fuzzbass

More tidbits:

9. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    That’s encouraging!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  10. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    Might this be the year he makes good on his promises? I sure hope so!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  11. Fuzzbass

Quick summary of recent events:
    • In late 2017/early 2018 Darrin announced his new Zeller guitar company, along with the promise of completing 10 overdue Huff basses prior to Zeller's debut at summer NAMM. No overdue basses were completed*, but he did not go to NAMM.
    • Just after summer NAMM he said he'd complete all backordered basses by the end of the year. Obviously that hasn't happened.
    All that said, we're now seeing actual progress on some scroll basses, which are the overdue basses. I'm not quite ready to say that I'm confident that I'll get my bass in 2019, but I do count this progress as encouraging. I hope Darrin does get some overdue basses out the door this year.

*Darrin got Kristjan's bass out the door in 2018. That bass had been in a nearly-complete state for years which is why I didn't give full credit, but it was a good sign that he was finally able to complete it.

12. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    Nobody will get anything in 2019, or ever. Besides the guy is a woodworker who used to make yoyos (and ripped people off there too). He makes pretty pieces of wood, but is he a real luthier anyway?

13. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Bet?

14. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

I'm just an observer here, but how is this helpful? Does it contribute to the conversation?

Pbassmanca, Apolicious, mdogs and 6 others like this.
  15. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    If you’d read the thread, you’d be probably mostly aware that (at the very least) ONE more person is most likely getting their scroll bass at some point, maybe soon. Which is a big step in the right direction IMO.
    Also please don’t take my response to your very bold prediction as a defense for DH— just calling you out for being wholly negative for no reason at all.
    Cheers!

16. From this story you can make a good script for the movie) Psychological drama about a crazy master! If you unleash this story, perhaps bass guitars will become legendary and their value will increase hundreds of times))

Pbassmanca likes this.
  17. Wait. WHAT??

Fuzzbass and Pbassmanca like this.
  18. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Drugs.

19. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Jeff K, Fuzzbass, 12BitSlab and 2 others like this.
  20. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    1st post on TB was a gem.

nibs208 and Rob Martinez like this.