1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    No matter what he is able to accomplish within the next year, there is sadly no guarantee that he will not go off the rails again at any time.

GregC and Garret Graves like this.
  2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Agreed... ;)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    GregC and BadJazz like this.
  3. Ouch lol

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I have been following this for many years. About a year ago, he actually had me convinced that he was going to Fix it all. Nah. He actually goes off the rails on a very regular basis. Makes me sad, because outside of the business, he has few peers on the planet with his build and artistic skills. I think it is reasonable to call him a - build - genius.

There's only One Way the situation can be fixed. To be able to afford a Business Manager who actually conducts all the business, and coaches him on what and what not to take on, while he does his builds. Outside of that, I now change my prediction to - the story never ends well.

Yammybass likes this.
  5. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    How is he a "build genius"? Pictures please!

6. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    If there was a complete 4 string for sale in my hands, I would strongly consider buying it as they look beautiful and I’ve not heard any negatives about sound. But putting a down payment.... not so much.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  7. Clark Word

Clark Word

Aug 26, 2018
    Here's some pics

This one was actually finished in 2012 and then later sold here on TB.
    For Sale - D. Huff 3D Scroll Rainbow Bass
    This bass was later resold for a loss on Ebay by the buyer from here who replaced the Nordys with EMGs. Notice he claims in his Ebay auction that the bass comes with a lifetime warranty. I hope whoever bought it doesn't ever need the warranty coverage.

There was a 2015 model that was sold either on Reverb or here, in Nov of 2017.
    It was listed for sale in both places.
    SOLD - Darrin Huff Custom 2015 Natural - Unbelievable Bass Guitar
    REDUCED Darrin Huff Custom 2015 Natural - Unbelievable Bass Guitar

And a 2013 model currently being sold out of Sao Paulo, Brazil? Can't find a date for the sale post.
    Baixo Darrin Huff - R$ 16.000,00 that's R$16000 Brazillian Real, or $ 4261.20 US

And even though I'm not a fan of the design and I think he belongs in prison for what he has done to people over the last 18 or 19 years, there's no denying that the guy can definitely build a bass, when he wants to.....

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    slowburnaz, Fuzzbass and Pendulous like this.
  8. Ok. So i can see why people wanted his basses..... they really are special and I don't normally like natural finish overly arty basses.

9. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    If you've ever been in a band with an addict - an exasperating experience that I do not wish upon anyone - then this is a far more likely reason than a mere lack of work flow coaching for someone regularly "going off the rails."

Broke, andruca and Pbassmanca like this.
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

"Furniture basses" (I'm being cute, not disrespectful) are not normally my thing either, TBH. I ordered during a phase when I was intrigued by Les Claypool's Carl Thompsons. My current stable is largely Fender-style, with paint and (usually) pickguards, but I like having some variety in my collection: I own one singlecut, one headless. A Huff (should I ever get it) would be a unique piece, for sure.

11. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I'm there opposite...I like what are considered furniture basses, but I am not a huge fan of the look. I can see how others would.

Pbassmanca and gebass6 like this.
  12. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    What I am seeing is that people don't want his basses, to judge by the examples that people bought, regretted, put up for sale at hopeful prices, then marked down at a steep discount. They look to me like wall art, not players.

Kijuer and andruca like this.
  13. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I feel the same way about Fenders.;)

Pbassmanca and gebass6 like this.
  14. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Eh, maybe... but there's a guy in my town that, inexplicably, owns two of them. Seems to like them.

I'd been told by Darrin at one point to get in touch with that guy, as he said he'd be willing to let me check the basses out. But I kinda felt weird about contacting him, especially since it wasn't the owner that personally told me that it would be okay to do so.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  15. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    How can something "look like... ...not players?"

Wouldn't you need to PLAY it to know if it's a player?

16. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If one suffers from a cognitive bias.

Pbassmanca, El Spearo and Stevorebob like this.
  17. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    My point was that the players keep selling them.

18. RudyTardy

RudyTardy

Aug 20, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Mike Watt hasn't sold his.

19. mr. zero

mr. zero

Sep 21, 2001
    Lansdale, PA
    Nor has Les Claypool. Or that dude from Cake.

bdgotoh likes this.
  20. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    It doesn't mean they are wall art only. My guess is that the vast majority of basses are bought and quickly resold regardless of the brand.

Pbassmanca likes this.