1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    How many used Foderas get sold on here?

Sam Dingle and lesclaypoolsob like this.
  2. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, and nobody wants their Fenders either. Just look at how many are for sale. ;)

Fuzzbass, ajkula66 and S-Bigbottom like this.
  3. Aweiss96

Aweiss96

Dec 1, 2014
    I thought Les plays Carl Thompsons?

LBS-bass, Reedt2000 and ajkula66 like this.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I didn't hear from Darrin this past weekend so I pinged him Wednesday via e-mail -- he said he preferred that to FB Messenger (which was good news for me: not a big FB fan, don't have it on my phone). He reminded me that he had to deal with an ER visit the previous week... I don't recall the issue but did recall that he had mentioned the visit on Facebook. Anyway, we reviewed a few specs on my order. I also asked whether he had an ETA, and he stated that his plan was to complete all scroll basses (which are the overdue ones -- he says he will no longer take orders for them) by his birthday, May 15th.

Again, I'm trying to stick to neutral reporting: no analysis/opinion.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Not an ER visit! Poor guy.

On a side note, cocaine habits are very expensive.

6. The boy who cried wolf, the excuses run out eventually. I used to work with a guy who was perpetually "sick" or had suffered a recent bereavement. I swear that dude must have had 14 grandmas pass away. He got sacked.

Hope this story ends better (and with a bass or two).

catcauphonic likes this.
  7. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    What a birthday gift! Can you imagine all that weight off of his shoulders? He's probably ripped by now, a body builder for sure.

To where do I send the birthday card?

Seriously, I hope guy has something to show by 5-15.

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You may have said this somewhere here already and feel free not to answer if you don't want to, but how much have you paid him so far? I preemptively apologize if you consider that rude.

9. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Still no word from the guy in Iceland, strange it was sent to his friend in Canada back in what June of 2018 and here it is Febuary of 2019, really strange!!!!

Gunga Din, Rob Martinez and BadJazz like this.
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Pretty sure I've mentioned it before, but it's no problem regardless. My build was quoted at $2500, which was a sweet deal even 15+ years ago. In April 2003 I gave him the required 50% down.

Late that year he provided pictures of body and neck roughs and told me I'd have my bass within a month or so. In the course of conversation we realized we had a mutual affinity for Music Man basses. Long story short he said he was interested in a 1983 pre-EB Cutlass I that I was selling because I'd become a 5-string guy. Not all Talkbass PMs migrated over to the new forum software that was installed quite a few years ago, but some did, and I have one from November 2003 in which Darrin said:

My Cutlass was a fairly well worn workhorse so the mutually agreed price was the remaining 50% of my order. I shipped it over and he agreed I was paid in full. Seemed like a win-win at the time. :facepalm:

P.S. You folks can laugh at my, um, "carelessness"... I don't mind. :)

11. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Here's hoping that you all get your basses.

GregC, Fuzzbass and Trabeen like this.
  12. I don't think you are careless. A bit hopeful and optimistic! We all take chances sometimes. $1250 and a used bass, while a healthy chunk of cash and some personal property, is not going to break your finances, even if you never get a bass. Fingers crossed!

Joshua and Fuzzbass like this.
  13. Hey man, we aren't supposed to question that arrangement! We have no idea how difficult is it to ship stuff to Iceland in the year 2019!!

14. Clark Word

Clark Word

Aug 26, 2018
    According to his Zeller Guitar FB page, he's got two batches of guitars that were all spoken for as of Nov 8th, 2018, to start building. I see a few more ticked off people in the near future.

If I was a Catholic I'd nominate you for sainthood.

Pbassmanca, J_Bass and Fuzzbass like this.
  15. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    HEY MAN, Mr. Wannabe Moderator I wasn't slaming anybody or anything It was an observation I've noticed considering the amount of time has gone by an no word on the out come of this.

16. Dude, I was joking about the absurdity about how long it has taken! I'm on YOUR side. Tone does not always translate on a forum like this. Pun intended!! I actually was slammed for asking the same thing a while back so I was mocking THAT post, not you.

Broke, Dluxe, Pbassmanca and 2 others like this.
  17. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I'm thinking Iceland guy got his bass and is so overwhelmed by its awesomeness that he can't put it down long enough to drop us a line.

18. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Everyone is speculating about that bass since he hasn’t been on TB in quite a long time. Just let it go. He’ll report on the bass when he has it and is back on TB... or he won’t. It’s his call either way.

19. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Sorry, I apologize for my rudeness.

20. Not necessary! I post a lot what is in my head and it does not always translate well.

Pbassmanca likes this.