1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Cmon. We need *something* to talk about. :)

Seriously, once again, I think this thread has outlived its usefulness. I have no skin in the game, and after all these years, he last year was able to again convince me things were going to change, and now I am permanently concluding it will never change.

And, I no longer find anything entertaining about the situation. I actually now think there are other things at play that wouldn't be cool to joke about. You can draw out some other information and conclusions from watching the Facebook sites.

I wish you all the best on your journeys.

Rob Martinez and Pbassmanca like this.
  2. Hopefully I can put this diplomatically:

Is D Huff dealing with substance addiction issues?

I don’t have Facebook so I’ve just got context from this thread. I’m withholding my (obvious) opinion from this for the sake of discussion. Taking a note from @Fuzzbass ‘s book.

At the end of the day, this thread and all things related to it provide and excellent insight into psychology (from all and many points of view), the Internet, and it’s intersections. This thread has aged with the rapidly changing internet, and also with all members of the TB community. Especially those affected directly by DH. A truly interesting situation.

roogbass likes this.
  3. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    OK, P, or J?

andruca and SBassman like this.
  4. Valsmere

Valsmere Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2018
    southern NJ
    Tort or not to Tort???

andruca, Tim Schnautz and SBassman like this.
  5. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    What are the best p or j tone tort flats or rounds for metal?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Apolicious likes this.
  6. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    rosewood or maple?

7. Rounds or flats?

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

This thread might no longer hold any interest for you, but the main "usefulness", as clearly stated in the title, is a warning. Activity in the thread helps keep it at the top of the search results for "darrin huff".

Another purpose is updates on Darrin's activity -- or lack thereof -- but there HAS been activity lately. I'm not particularly referring to the chalk outlines he's done for my bass; there are other scroll basses that are farther along, and with luck one or more will go to a Talkbasser. I do not mean to imply that the recent activity means that any of us are going to get our basses, but it's activity just the same.

I can certainly understand why someone would become bored with the thread. If that's the case, just don't click it.

9. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans

I’ve been following for a few years now. Not bored yet haha

10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Mr. Huff was active in the Seattle Areas Bass Nerds Facebook group this morning (within the last hour hour of this post in fact). He was providing some luthier's advice to my buddy Sean. I'm posting this to highlight what I can only hope is a positive towards folks receiving their long overdue basses.

Those positive notions are:
    • He's communicating coherently, so his mental state appears to be better than it has been in the past.
    • He's communicating specifically about luthiery, so it's definitely on his mind rather than being something he's evidently forgotten about.
    • That being a bass-specific group means that he's at least on some level thinking specifically about bassists.

Untitled.

Maybe I'm trying too hard to find silver linings with this, but I'm still hoping that those waiting for basses will have them before too much longer (relatively speaking of course).

11. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    Probably because neither of them actually play DH basses :p

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

This is Cake with Gabe Nelson playing a D Huff bass. It's not a scroll bass, it's the prototype (or maybe S/N #1) of his bolt-on design.

13. Ok, I just fast forwarded to the end of thread, so I may have missed something. But to those that are still waiting, did you have put down a deposit? I think I saw here some folks were waiting 3 to 5 years? Wow! I dunno if I could wait that long.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  14. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    It’s worse than you think.

15. 125 pages of comments starting in 2006? I would definitely not be putting any money down

roccobass and Pbassmanca like this.
  16. I’m blown away. I had luthier friend of mine. An excellent builder. He wanted to make me a bass, but was giving a two year timeframe. Even that I couldn’t hang with. Don’t know whats up with Darren. I feel for you guys that are waiting. Good luck to you all. Seriously.

lesclaypoolsob likes this.
  17. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Heh... Early January 2019 (hell, maybe December 2018... can't exactly remember at this point) represented the 16 year mark of waiting for me.

confetti.

18. :jawdrop: :chicken::eek::sour: Not in the same order!

19. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    For the hell of it I looked at his FB page and see he has an apprentice, for what it’s worth. Like others I’ve been reading this thread since the beginning. I feel awful for you guys.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  20. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    On his personal facebook page his quote is:

"Just imagine what I could accomplish if I applied myself!"

classy...

EddiePlaysBass and ICM like this.