1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Oh yeah it was definitely an easier bass to build vs his scrolls. No doubt about that. But it proved he could stick to a schedule and meet a deadline when push came to shove. Just wish all those who were robbed of their money could see the same results with their basses even if it is almost two decades later. Even at this point to be able to get what you paid for would be a victory, a bittersweet, emotional one, but a victory nonetheless.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Had two that I know about. I don't know which is worse. Getting ripped off of your money or getting ripped off of your labor by not getting paid. I've had both happen to me in my lifetime and both boil my blood.

Pbassmanca and ajkula66 like this.
  3. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    His apprentice has another full time job, so making instruments is not his first priority. He's learning from the Master.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

It's a fairly recent development... within the past month or so? I could research it but am not a regular Facebooker*.

He has had apprentices in the past (one at a time, I think), but that was many years ago, long before Zeller Guitars.

*FWIW, I follow Darrin Huff's personal page and his D Huff Guitars business page. He also has a Zeller guitars page, but I don't think I followed that one.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I wonder if he's learning business practices or just luthiery.

nateh415, J_Bass and Pbassmanca like this.
  6. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

I mean, as I've said before, I have no actual skin in the game here and I follow this thread out of interest in the strange history and goings-on regarding all these undelivered basses, but I really feel for all of those who's money Darren Huff took 15 years ago or more without delivering anything. Obviously with maybe one or two exceptions, nobody on here is an expert in psychological processes , but it's obvious that the situation with Huff is not normal and that his behavior is not normal or typical or good. It takes a very special kind of mind and personality to be able, in the age of social media outrage and accountability, to manipulate the feelings, thoughts and actions of a pretty large group of people. Such that, after having screwed paying customers out of tens of thousands of dollars or more, and having lied, misdirected, and intentionally manipulated, dozens if not hundreds of people over the course 15 or more years, he's able to easily ignore all of his misdeeds, convince others that they weren't that big of a deal , pretend to take responsibility, and start a new company with employees, inventory, overhead, and good sales, all the while making excuses about not being able to deliver the outstanding basses. 50 bookmatched tops? Everyone here knows that while he's making all those guitars which he will sell for a good profit, you could have one scroll bass on the go at the same time , getting the apprentices, who are likely getting paid (intermittently with lots of excuses?), to help with the build. Clearing the backlog this way would only marginally affect the cost of his operation and his profit margin and allow him to deliver the basses one by one over a "reasonable length" of time. This is very simple for anyone with half a brain to figure out. IMHO, this is the approach that a person who fully intended on delivering his backlogged orders, would take to completing the projects.

Look at his Facebook post carefully for a clear insight on how he manipulates and strings everyone along: (My unqualified interpretation in parenthesis....:roflmao:)

"My helpers have been busy bookmatching and thickness sanding tops and backs. ("Wow, we are busy! LOOK, I have helpers and they are skilled and making fancy woodwork, things are happening here! Growth, success!) But now I am down to one apprentice in the shop, and he already has another full time job. (Now that I've primed your excitement and positive feelings i have to subtly pull you away to something more important and disturbing. The helpers are gone. I'm not telling you why, but there's only one now, and he's not here helping do fancy lutherie all the time because I can't pay him full time wages. So I'm letting you know that something is wrong. I won't tell you what that is, but now it's not busy, and things aren't happening, problems, lack of funds maybe? Don't worry about it too much though...I got this...:smug:)
    So might have to change things up here a bit. (Everything good that I just told you was happening actually isn't now and I'm going to have to do most of this work myself, but it's ok I have everything under control, we don't need to be honest about what is causing the problems or changes to staffing and production, I'm in control you see? There's a clear pattern here but you shouldn't pay attention to that) This represents almost enough tops and backs ready for 50 of my hollowbody guitars and basses."
    (I'm proud of this accomplishment! I'm going to make 50 hollowbody guitars and basses and sell them and make money!! It's going to happen, so don't pay attention to anything I said in the middle of this post, just the beginning and end of it. Oh, but I did need to let you know that things are a bit fudged right now so don't expect me to deliver as promised because you can't expect that from me. I'm special and different and you all owe me this, and don't you dare question me by the way....)

That's how I read his post anyways. Geez, I sure hope that somehow this gets figured out. You all deserve to have what you paid for, be delivered into your hands. TBH though, I'm not sure that Huff is capable of breaking out of his old patterns and habits when he's currently posting stuff like this....:(

7. DH is a sociopath.

8. Pbassmanca

Well, I'm not sure exactly what the diagnosis would be, but I can tell you one thing there definitely is something going on with that guy, and I hope that the folks on this thread who are patiently waiting for those beautiful basses receive them sooner or later, although I got a bad feeling it's going to be later.....:rollno:

9. He has many of the classic characteristics of a sociopath, such as manipulative, conning, pathological lying, lack of remorse or shame or guilt, irresponsible, unreliable, criminal/entrepreneurial versatility.

Or he's just a thief.

nateh415 and Pbassmanca like this.
  10. Pbassmanca

Well, the superficial charm aspect is certainly there....I think that guy could charm the drawers off a leprechaun........:smug:

roogbass and Rob Martinez like this.
  11. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Technically, he would have to get off of drugs before you could diagnose a personality disorder like "sociopath".

12. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    How and why would you wait 3+ years for a bass to be made!? I can see 3-6 months maybe 8 months tops but years!!? That’s ridiculous

13. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Actually, what is ridiculous is that you feel it is ok to come here and post something like this, clearly without reading anything in the thread.

Pendulous, JLY, Pbassmanca and 10 others like this.
  14. Pet Politics

Pet Politics My real name is Michael, but how exciting is that?

Nov 14, 2007
    Burbank, CA
    I just went through this entire thread and added up all the "I wouldn't wait X+ amount of years for a bass" posts.

This thread would not wait a combined 473+ years for a bass.

15. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    What would you do? Demand a refund? Great idea!...Oh, wait...What? :banghead:

Pbassmanca likes this.
  16. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Yeah I’m not gunna read everything. I read a few on the last page. OH WELL! it’s not the worse thing anyone has said

17. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Nice attitude.

18. It's a long time to wait by any standard.

I feel for those who were taken.

Those who put down $ for a bass should tell DH to send one of his new hollow body basses to you and call it a day, since he seems to be making those.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  19. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    I don’t know if this is an option, but for those who have seen photos of their basses in various stages of the build process (which I know some customers have seen), I would request everything be shipped to me, as is — neck, pickups, tuners, knobs, half finished body, whatever. At least I would have something, and possibly take the materials to a reputable luthier who could finish it. Don’t ream me if that’s not a option. Just looking for alternatives.

Pbassmanca and BadJazz like this.
  20. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Better to keep your mouth shut and have everyone think you a fool, than to open it and confirm it....