1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Darrin was/is a member of TalkBass. He's aware of this thread, and knows that a number of TBers on his wait list have participated in it. He stays away from TB, hasn't posted here in a decade.

If Darrin gets only one bass done, it won't be mine: I've only seen a picture of the body. Another TBer's bass has been close to ready for years now, but he lives outside of the country so shipping is both challenging and extremely expensive... I don't know all the details so I won't comment further, but from what I've seen that bass is 95% done.

What does a roughly-shaped body count for? 10%?

Pbassmanca and jim nolte like this.
  2. i am not

3. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Yes, I know, it was rhetorical. It is unfortunate that you do not see/understand/care about the underlying problem that is the theft of Ritter’s designs.

Imaginary Pony, Ikkir, ELG60 and 4 others like this.
  4. What is the underlying problem? General “theft” of “intellectual property”?

This is far from a cut and dry issue especially in a global marketplace and in the musical instrument world.

As I stated, this helps ritter if anything. If he sold basses that more than .1% of the population could afford it may be a different story but in the meantime he seems awfully petty going after a builder making affordable instruments that use his body shape. It creates brand recognition and maybe someday when that kid who buys a knock off Ritter from alibaba becomes a lawyer or a dentist they can one day afford the real thing too.

This notion of exclusivity of a shape for the bourgeois class is absurd at best, especially in our current global marketplace.

ICM, Basiroti and rocmonster like this.
  5. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    I kind of understand where you're going with this but if this is true why bother coming up with something new when it is easier to just steal someone else's designs?

That's just sad.

Moonshine :bassist:

6. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

A company directly and intentionally stole Ritter's design in all aspects. When asked about it, the representative obviously beat around the bush with some super duper BS about it being "secret". Now to be fair, many aftermarket custom builders have copied Leo Fender's design to a T, but if you ask them about it, I have no doubt that they will tell you that they are doing their best to imitate and recreate their best version of the real thing. They say that "imitation is the highest form of flattery" , but it must be acknowledged, otherwise is simply just straight-up theft.

scuzzy likes this.
  7. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Not the thread. Less Ritter more Huff please. :)

Ikkir, Stevorebob, Pbassmanca and 4 others like this.
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Not really. Many don't care as long as they aren't the one getting the shaft.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  9. Fuzzbass

On that note: after some back and forth with other luthiers, Darrin has decided to do spruce core necks on the basses. I reminded him that he told me he already had a neck for my build, but I'd be OK with spruce if it didn't slow him down.

Just posting the update. No one should misinterpret this as a change in my optimism (or lack thereof). :rollno:

10. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    I'm sorry, I must've missed that post. I appreciate the update. this thread is a bit of a mess.

but to the last point... yes. yes you do. you are representing yourself at what is arguably the most important trade show in the entire music business. if you choose to incorporate another brand into your booth, you better be damn sure what they're all about, because you're not giving them a tacit endorsement, you're giving them a blatant one. this isn't "I talked to this person once," it's "I made a professional decision to become involved with this company." a measure of due diligence is expected. the last time I went to NAMM I thought glockenklang had some kind of sponsorship deal going on, because their amps were at every booth. turned out that nope, no pay for play, the builders just really liked the company/product, and they did well.

I don't mean this to be a personal attack on Doug. I'm sure his intentions of supporting an independent luthier were pure. but man, you GOT to hire a social media guy who can hunt down threads like this. after about page four I would've run away screaming.

but hey, this is where we are, and we have to be positive moving forward. maybe NAMM will be the big turnaround that DH has been waiting for all these years. maybe his vehicle won't break down during his cross-country apology tour. maybe my poop will grow wings.

either way, he appears to be doing SOMETHING, and I think that's a step in the right direction.

11. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    There is nothing "petty" about going after someone that is ripping you off, that's the whole point about trademarks, patents and copyrights. Doesn't matter what something costs, it is still stealing and impacts the bottom line of he builder in this case. It doesn't create brand recognition, that isn't how that works, at all. It creates confusion. Ritter and other high end builders won't be around in 20 years if they get ripped off and undercut by knockoffs, seems like you hold a grudge against Ritter for being expensive.

12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Endorsing Artist: AlienAudio Basses
    So we want to hold Doug to some unreasonable standard, but at the same time, the people that are owed basses have not taken any legal action. I’m not blaming the victims, just saying that lashing out at Doug now is kinda stupid.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  13. Basiroti

Basiroti

Jan 9, 2018
    I didn't take the comment as lashing out as Doug as much as, a social media manager or saavy PR person should have caught this. The important excerpt was:

"if you choose to incorporate another brand into your booth, you better be damn sure what they're all about, because you're not giving them a tacit endorsement, you're giving them a blatant one. this isn't "I talked to this person once," it's "I made a professional decision to become involved with this company." a measure of due diligence is expected."

It's a fair critique. All love.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  14. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

The suspense is killing me.....:smug:

15. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing Artist: Alleva Coppolo Basses and Guitars, FBass, Olinto Basses, Bergantino Audio Systems
    DarkGlass was referred to DH by a mutual friend Im assuming he trusted...so even though he might have done more checking , depending on who this person is (could be someone in the industry) at least it wasn’t as though some guy out of the blue went to DarkGlass without any context and got into the booth. I think it’s fair to emphasize that bit.

Fuzzbass and Pbassmanca like this.
  16. RudyTardy

RudyTardy

Aug 20, 2002
    Los Angeles
    You may not have intended to blame us by forging such a ridiculous comparison, but you went ahead and did it anyway. Please don’t even insinuate these things are remotely analogous. I have no idea who Doug is, and I’m certainly not going to cast any stones in a (dark)glass house, so I wish him the best of luck in his business ventures.

Apolicious, Fuzzbass and Pbassmanca like this.
  17. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    My intent was that expecting a third party to bring on social media PR sleuth to examine anyone that may display an instrument, speaker, amp or cable in one's booth is a little ridiculous when the people that are owed money have not taken action themselves in court to attempt to obtain a resolution. Don't expect everyone else to fight your battles - if that's clearer. The statute of limitations is long gone on these instruments, the courts don't care, why should a NAMM exhibitor? And I'm sure that had he known, he wouldn't have included the instrument in his booth, but to expect him to do a background check is a bit extreme.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  18. Fuzzbass

You're still doing it. :rollno: As RudyTardy said, it's utterly ridiculous to compare legal action (or not) by Darrin's customers with the actions of those who associate with him. These are completely separate things.

In your fantasy world, the justice system is apparently ready and willing to take down bad actors at the drop of the hat. In the real world, the only recourse many victims have is to share their stories and educate the public. That might not be legal action, but it is action just the same.

Same as you, I don't fault Darkglass for not being aware of Darrin's history. But to claim that lack of legal action on our part means that nobody else should care is.... incomprehensible (I'm being polite here).

AFAIK no one on the Huff list is asking anyone to "fight our battles" for us. Recently, some folks here, typically not on the list, have been speculating on possible other actions given that direct legal action hasn't been worthwhile (regardless of statutes of limitation, I will add). It's all been interesting, but again, those of us waiting are just hoping for folks to be aware.

JGR, Apolicious, tradernick and 6 others like this.
  19. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I'm just saying that the original post that expected Darkglass to have a social media PR guy to vet everyone is ridiculous.

20. Fuzzbass

I don't agree with every post made in this thread either, but to step back and look at the big picture, I'm grateful that you and others care enough to comment, brainstorm, etc. Thanks to everyone for all the well-wishes, too.