1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. ICM

ICM

Apr 29, 2013
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Ritter was being a ball buster and Doug from Darkglass acted in good faith. I don't see the big deal here for either situations. If anything it's just distracting us from the bad character of Huff.

2. tradernick

tradernick

Mar 19, 2008
    Follow this thread with sadness, check in once in a while, but no dog in this fight.

Gotta say though, the above is just flat out wrong. Whether or not defrauded clients of a vendor have taken legal action has nothing to do with a third party's responsibility to vet that vendor before endorsing him/her, or with the public's expectation that the third party has conducted such due diligence.

Apolicious and Basiroti like this.
  3. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    So I guess we are just filling time until June 23rd?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Not to get side tracked on the Ritter thing again, but when a foreign company makes exact copies of the basses of a small shop like Ritter, they deserve to be called out for it. If I was Jens Ritter I would break balls as well. I would sue that company if I was him, oh but wait, he'd never see a penny anyways....Imagine if the same company that is copying Ritters designs saw Huff's work at NAMM and started ripping him off too?!..........Too funny.......:D Ok, moving along now.......:smug:

5. Basiroti

Basiroti

Jan 9, 2018
    This knocked me over. I actually think you're on to something with stealing from thieves.

I'd like to add that I'm sorry for derailing the conversation. I'm sorry to anyone who is out money, and I'm sorry if any of my comments seemed harsh re: DarkGlass.

(this post has been edited to soften my language)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  6. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    gotta talk about something, the suspense is killing me.

and Basiroti, you are a gentleman and a scholar. I appreciate your measured tone and choice of words. much better than what I can usually manage.

Basiroti and Pbassmanca like this.
  7. Basiroti

Basiroti

Jan 9, 2018
    Thank you @Apolicious - I'm an observer, and not out any tangible money.
    I'd like to transfer that compliment to @Fuzzbass - I find his grace, and patience in this thread inspiring.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  8. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Is there a dilemma - make sure he never sells another bass, then no chance of him making money to build those outstanding basses? Similar to DR Bass, I’d buy a cab from him, but only if it was in stock and I paid via PayPal with the ability to file a claim.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Rich, I think there is no dilemma. He can get a job at Home Depot or wherever like anyone, save up to buy bass making materials, build basses on his days off from the 9 to 5, and deliver finished basses to the people who already paid him. There is no reason why anyone should pay him now to make a new bass.

AltGrendel, Ikkir, ICM and 5 others like this.
  10. No dilemma. It's not up to the purchaser to create a financial situation where he can build a bass they already paid him money to build. That is their only obligation, to pay for the product. THAT PAID for the bass to be built.

Ikkir and Pbassmanca like this.
  11. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I totally agree, and I feel terrible for anyone this has happened to. I was referring to those who want to give someone like Huff (or Dr. Bass) the benefit of the doubt rather than holding them accountable for their actions. People like Huff deserve no further consideration.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Pbassmanca, smperry and Basiroti like this.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

As of this year there's a bit of disconnect. The company that still owes a bunch of people basses after 15 years (give or take) is called D Huff Guitars. The new company started by the same proprietor is called Zeller Guitars, and is making guitars, not basses (as far as I'm aware, anyway). Zeller will have the Summer NAMM booth.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  13. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Not sure if he's made a bass yet, but there are posts on the Seller facebook page mentioning a bass. So there are at least plans, well, "plans".

Pbassmanca likes this.
  14. Fuzzbass

I'm curious to find out what the Zeller bass will look like. :eyebrow: As others have said, this will be an interesting few weeks.

I suppose I should follow the Zeller page as well.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  15. ICM

ICM

Apr 29, 2013
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Personally, I think a group of people should get together and protest his stand at NAMM; signs, print outs of this thread, etc. Make sure every potential buyer he has is dissuaded and aware of his dishonesty.
    I would love to approach him as a journalist discussing a new up-and-coming brand, then during the filmed interview, call him out on all of his wrongdoings. Honestly just go full Barry Scheck on the guy. Then post it online. This sad excuse for a human being deserves worse than that IMO. Although I acknowledge that he (clearly) has a slew of mental health issues, and in no way discount the legitimacy of those afflictions, it is no excuse. He's disgusting.
    I don't even have a dog in the race and this infuriates me so much, so I respect the hell out of everyone's zen attitude towards this.

Zane DeBord and Pbassmanca like this.
  16. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    It’s an admirable thought, but it’s on private property and you would be quickly removed. Your best protest would be to keep mentioning Zeller guitars here and linking from elsewhere so that people interested will learn of Zeller’s past. I would say that it’s counterproductive - if he makes money from the guitars it would give him money to build the basses, but after fifteen years, I guess that most have written off the loss. He also purchased $5k worth of pickups recently for zeller, so maybe money wasn’t the issue at all.

Pbassmanca, Basiroti and ICM like this.
  17. Fuzzbass

Thanks. Being middle aged (or middle-aged-plus) has some advantages, and mellowing out is one. In my case anyway: I'm not a cranky old phart yet.

Don't misunderstand: it's outrageous that we still don't have basses after 15-16 years, but I'd hate to think of what my health would be like if I'd been outraged the entire time.

I'm definitely not Mr. Spock: if he shows up to NAMM with a bunch of guitars and we still don't have our backordered basses, I'll lose my Zen for sure. But there's no reason to do so prematurely. I would actually like my Huff bass, so I wish him Zen and health and positivity and mental focus and whatever else he needs to get 'em done.

18. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    It's easy to talk about what a group of people should do when you don't belong to that group of people.

Personally, I will keep my fingers crossed that the invested parties receive their instruments, and that they prove to have been worth the wait.

Pbassmanca and cataract like this.
  19. I wont pretend to have read all 97 pages (I have read some from several years back, and a few here and there from recently), but is he still being able to con folks into commissioning a build, even after this thread (and I'm sure, others similar)? As much traffic as this board and others get where this is probably discussed as well would, I think, be able to warn most anyone across the globe who is interested in a custom bass build to buy from anybody but this dude. The fact that he is still able to trick people is amazing and says a lot about what he really is all about.

I would assume that if he is going to have a booth at NAMM would mean he is a member. Has anybody mentioned this to the powers that be at that organization? Not telling anybody what to do, just seriously asking.

BnB

20. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il

Did you really read a few pages back, or did you just say you read a few pages back...no answer needed.

FullTime Tim likes this.