Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WARNING DONT SHIP USING UPS!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ceeprm, Jun 6, 2003.

1. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    I recently shipped my Jon Shuker bass from Edinburgh to his workshop in Chesterfield (not that far) and UPS managed to f*£k it up by putting a big score on the top- how could that happen when it was in a hard case?? The bass will now have to be sanded and re-finished which UPS will be paying for..........

2. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Arse.........

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I can't imagine how a damage like that can occur with a closed hardcase? :confused:

Indications that it has been opened?

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I've shipped probably 10 guitars and basses using UPS, and I have never had a bad experience with them...

Was the case damaged??

Two possibilities..

1. The bass was like that before it was shipped..

2. It was opened during shipment and the damage occured then..

Did you have it insured?? Might be able to defray the cost of repair.. Gonna be really hard proving that it happened enroute.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    although i have never had any problems with UPS (i think they are great), i have had heard horror stories about them.

thanks for the info and sorry about your issue.

:(

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    For the last 6 months or so I've been using FedEx ground (GROUND...not to be confused with normal FedEx air shipping) instead of UPS. It's always been cheaper, every time. Usually save up to 30%. It's also been faster than UPS ground every time. I had some tires delivered from anther state a couple of months back and they came FedEx ground...I ordered them and had them on my car within 4 days and saved something like 10 to 12 dollars in shipping charges vs. UPS.

brad cook

7. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Ditto on the FedEx Ground. I just shipped a bass (no hard case) from here to Arizona last week, and it cost me $7.77.

GS

8. UPS sucks, Fedex can't deliver my stuff to the right addresses. Try Airborne Express, they are super fast and cheap. I shipped a bass from Stl MO to La CA for $13 and three days. You can ship from just about any Officemax or straight off the web site.

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Just shipped a guitar from central Illinois to southern Tennesse UPS. Took 2 days and no problems. The bass I traded for is coming back Fed Ex. I don't anticipate any problens but we'll see.

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sorry to hear that, cee. FWIW, I've always had better luck here with UPS than with FedEx. FedEx Ground utterly ruined a computer I bought that was in a professional steel rack case and double-boxed to boot. UPS, on the other hand, has never hurt anything of mine.

I guess mileage varies. Bottom line is, none of these shippers are perfect, or even as good as they ought to be.

Say, how do you like your Shuker? I have two basses on order from Jon right now--a matched fretted-fretless set. Looks like your neck is wenge and padauk, and your main body zebrawood; what's the top wood?

In any case, hope your problem gets taken care of.

11. I shipped my Korg 01W/FD back from San Diego a few years back and they lost it. Took me over a month to get it back. Also had some turntables and personal stuff sent back from Cali as well, all broken. I'm not thrilled by there services either. UPS:spit:

12. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I just shipped a bass fed ex ground and they wouldn't let me insure it for more than $100. Anyone else have this experience?

13. My cirrus was shipped Fedex...all this "11 bucks" for shipment drives me nuts. I paid 128 dollars for two day air, that took 9 days to get here! So, are fedex air and ground different entities?

Sorry to hear about the bass damage...I'm going to have to go with the others here saying that unless the hardcase was bashed in, then the case was either opened during shipment, or it was damaged before it was shipped out.

-Dave

14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    FedEx Ground used to be a separate entity called RPS (I think). But FedEx has had them for at least a couple of years now.

15. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Its great its got a really nice compressed growly tone- can get everything from ken smith to warwick sounds and an amazing bridge pickup slap sound, I was sending it down to him to get a new bridge with narrower string spacing cos Ive got skinny fingers....... the top is walnut with sycamore veneer

16. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I had an Ashdown combo shipped from sound control in Glasgow by UPS.
    Firstly they managed to lose it for an entire week.
    When it did finally turn up they had managed to completely sever one side of the cab.
    The only thing holding it together was the covering!
    Needless to say they paid for a replacement!
    Hmmm ..... that was from Scotland too ...... :meh: