Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warning: Great Ignorance displayed in post

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mikey96, Jan 18, 2001.

1. Hey guys, gotta warn u, while im not a beginner to the bass, i am very "undereducated" when it comes to amplifier's, pa systems and the like, and i need some help. My current "amp" is a small twenty year old traynor guitar amp, so please dont hold it against me.

Went into this pawn shop today, and saw a huge bass amp with what i think is a pa system (once again im not sure what one looks like, but its a huge speaker with like a seperate component that sits on top of it, with all kinds of mixing knobs), its a traynor, and it looks like its paid its dues, at least 15 years worth. Anyway the speaker is selling for 225 Canadian, and the thing on top is 275 canadian, should i purchase it, cause my band is gonna start gigging soon, and i have enough saved up in the bank. Anyway any help is appreciated, even if u are just enlightening me on what a pa system is.

2. if you could give more info that would be helpfull
    will the pawn shop let you play it or just buy it

most P.A.'s i have delt with have had 2 speakers, one for each side of the stage, but of course that doesn't mean i speaker isn't missing.

does it have mixing knobs or just your bassic bass, trem, mid and the such?

and remember there is no such thing as ignorant questions, just ignorant people.

then again i may change my mind on that:D

3. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I don't think it's a PA at all, I think its a bass stack. As to whether you should buy it or not, all I can say is find out the wattage of the top part (commonly refered to as the head) and the size of the speakers in the bottom box(s) (called cabs).

4. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm not sure about the pawn shops in Canada, but here in the good ole usa, you can haggle with them. Find a scratch or a dent, or ANYTHING wrong with it and ask for some money off. If you cant find anything wrong, just ask anyway. They just want to sell it.

fisk

5. Ok guys thanks a lot for the help so far, im gonna go check it out again on monday, i guess it isnt a pa system, i think its just a huge bass amp, i cant remember what the knobs say. So where would u buy a pa system and how big is it, and do u really need one?