Warning: New Ebay Scam

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PortlandBass77, Jun 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. So I bought an LG V20 on ebay a few weeks ago and today this pop up (see the image). I called the number, and what do you know, it's the same location as the seller :rollno:. I'm so lucky I didn't buy on CL, usually Rent-a-Center phone have a different model number, but apparent for the V20 they share the same model as the US unlocked (and US Cellular....) US996. Also lucky that I kept my S5, I would have been royally screwed without a phone right now.

Anyways, ebay approved my return and got me my money back right away, so I'm only out the $20 for the accessories I bought.

IMG_20170606_125141.jpg

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Rent-A-Center does phones now too? Dang.

-Mike

PortlandBass77 likes this.
  3. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

Aug 2, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Builder: Brumbaugh Guitarworks
    I was just going to comment on how stupid it is to go to rent a center for a phone. Or for anything really...but forget it, talking doesn't change anything. Those guys will still be in business long after I'm gone at the current rate of consumption and lack of self control exhibited in the human race.

Bad luck on the phone, though. Sucks to have to return it.

rodl2005 and PortlandBass77 like this.
  4. Any idea what was owed to Renta Centre?

The sale was out and out fraud. Can I trust ebay cuts off such sellers?

PortlandBass77 likes this.
  5. I don't know and I don't care. It's ebay and the seller's problem now.

6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    That's dirty

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'd be curious to know what percentage of used cell phone sales are fraudulent.
    I've been tempted in the past, but end up just buying new.

-Mike

murphy likes this.
  8. I think a pretty high amount: this is the second fraudulent phone I have bought, but the first one was on CL so no protection.

My choices right now are stick with the S5, get a used Note 4, or buy a new G5....

9. Check out swappa.com, sellers have to prove the IEMI is clean.

Alik likes this.
  10. Did this guy's feedback profile on Ebay look okay?

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    An IMEI can be clean but the device can still have payments due on it. It's a bigger issue than just rent a center. Lots of people are getting phones on payment plans and selling them when they need money. The phone could still have hundreds owed on it. My coworker just did this with a galaxy she just bought. Sold it for like 500 but she still owes more than that for the next two years.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022