1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warning to ALL future Avatar cab buyers!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aurian4parker, Sep 26, 2008.

1. This is just in case this hasen't been discussed in TB before. My friend from Jetpack Black Mick informed me, and I called Avatar and they confirmed it.

Prices for Neo cabinets are going up next year. By roughly 50%!!

Meaning a $400 Avatar would be $600 :oops:

Just a tip, If you want an Avatar, or another one(like me) buy it this year.

Sorry if this is a repost.

If it is, make fun of me...Then lock it up.

-cheeto.

2. nooo!!!! i wont be able to afford a new cab till next summer and i wanted a 4x10 neo!!!

3. pineapplehead

pineapplehead

Mar 27, 2002
    Duly noted. Thanks!!

4. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

WARNING:
    Food prices are going up, hoard now!

If you have an order to give Dave for his good cabs,
    I'm sure he and his company will treat you right.

I see no reason to slam him because he might to need to
    raise prices based on new material costs.

We don't slam suppliers and producers here based on
    current or potential future costs of production.

If you have anything constructive to add to an Avatar
    discussion, PM me to reopen the thread,

5. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Ok, keep it civil.

6. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    I just ordered my Neo B212.

Also, you know Dave at Avatar will give the best possible price while still being able to make a living at doing this. He built his reputation on exactly that, and there's no reason that should change. No one has a right to begrudge the guy a living. Plus, the cabs are damn good. They sound good.

7. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    Did I miss something here?

8. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    If things get too pricey, he could always go back to standard magnet speakers. I mean, how much weight does neo actually save collectively for, say, a 4x10?

9. Regardless of price, I'd buy another one in a heart beat if I had the cash/need for another cabinet.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Perhaps 20 pounds, and he won't have the choice anyway. Because of the high cost of shipping raw materials to the magnet factory, magnets to the driver factory, drivers to the speaker factory, speakers to the retailer and then on to you by the time a gallon of diesel hits $10 magnets heavier than two pounds will have become as common as an honest politician. And thanks to same that could be sooner than you think. :scowl:

11. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    I suppose you're right, but what does this mean for us poor musicians? :confused:

12. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    Hold on a minute; you can say that about anything!

Let's use robot cymbal monkeys instead:

Because of the high cost of shipping raw materials to the cymbal factory, cymbals to the monkey factory, monkeys to the robot cymbal monkey factory, robot cymbal monkeys to the retailer and then on to you by the time a gallon of diesel hits $10 robot cymbal monkeys will have become as common as an honest politician.

Will we never see a quality robot cymbal monkey again? No! There will always be someone to make / buy robot cymbal monkeys.

13. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    I suppose you're right, but what does this mean for us poor robot cymbal monkey buying musicians? :confused:

:bag:

14. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    It means nothing. With the price of oil going ever higher heavy ceramic magnet drivers would end up more expensive than neo if the driver manufacturers kept on using it. They're phasing it out to keep costs down, not to raise them. As for the claimed percentage of the impending increased prices on Avatar I'd attribute Chicken Little as the original source of that rumor.:rollno:

15. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Double seems extreme. I would not be surprised to see increases though. Avatar product is popular, has proven itself to be valuable to people, and performs. With success comes price increases... with price increases comes more options and more models.

I'd think at least.

16. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    $600 bucks for one of Dave's cabs trumps the prices of similarly spec'd cabinets.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...601062&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=61023506

I've never heard the Epifani and it may be apples to oranges as far as sound goes but
    in comparison, my 410 Neo handles 1000 Watts, is Wired at 4ohms, and is similarly spec'd to the Epifani. I also consider my Avatar to be very Hi Fi sounding with the right preamps. Even with a price increase the Avatar is still roughly half the cost of the Epifani.

I've looked around for other cabs with the same power handling of the Avatar and the Epifani. Forget it.

17. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

If Dave's prices are going to have to climb due to increased driver/shipping cost so will all the other cabinet manufacturer's prices. It's not a cost that will be unique to Avatar.

Have you seen the price bump on Tribute G&L's? ~33% increase in street prices this summer. Increased fuel & shipping costs affect every manufacturer. If somebodies prices don't go up when costs go up then their margins are going down (and if they can afford to eat those increases you know they had big ol' margins to begin with).

18. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    +1. Don't believe for a moment that Detroit is losing money selling $35k pickups and SUVs now for $20k. They're just not making the outrageous profit that was the source of their late lamented love affair with them. :bawl:

19. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    And with those margins were able to subsidize the lack of sales and profits on the rest of their under-engineered and unwanted lines while better more desirable and more efficiently manufactured competitors' products ate up their market share and kept prices down.

Kudos to Avatar for staying profitable and still undercutting competitors.

20. Yea that's true, I do believe that Avatar will still have great prices. It does make sense what you guys are saying that if Avatar raises the prices then all the other companies out there making NEO cabs will have to raise them too.

Never thought of that. haha