Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WARNING TO ALL NEWBIES!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flea claypool, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    K first lets get one thing straight
    ive been playing a year and a month......SO YES IM A NEWBIE!
    But.....
    Please some expeirenced players back me up...
    i have found there are a few rules to follow when taking up bass..

1.Listen to what you like.
    many a time **** heads have told me dont listen to wooten listen to blink tool and korn... BE FREE TO CHOOSE

2.Play what you like.
    As wit rule one.. if you wanna slap in a band dont listen to the singer shoutin.. dont use your thumb..

3.Play wit what you like.
    If your in a death metal band you dont have to go out and buy a B.C RICH to fit in cause your guitarist says its "YOU"

4.Plec finger thumb debate
    personally i dont use plecks as i find the tone to bright. but unlike some fellow finger players i wont knock a plec player.. IF IT WORKS... GO FOR IT

5.Dont Mumble.
    everyone in the band is equal you should have your say. dont stand by the drummer in a gig! GET OUT FRONT AND INTERACT! the crowd loves to see bass players

6.VOLUME
    Just because you have a 700watt 8X10 cab.. doesnt mean you have to turn it down[WITHIN REASON] dont just burble in the background....>GROWL WITH YA BASS MAN.. get the tone cut through the mix its all about bein noticed

7.Some guitarists are wankers!
    my one respects bass and puts it on par.. which i totally respect him for that.. but dont listen to them if they say "Dont slap" "turn it down" and my favourite "where are you goin to stand when we do the gig"

8.Bass lines?
    YA its true some people have never heard bass lines... i blame mark hoppus or mark hopbuzzzz as one TB member called him.. dont be playin E.000000000000099999997777777 unless you want.. but you will get bored.. try chilis.. and remember improvisation improves your skill and spices up your sex life..AHEM

9.NEW TASTE.
    so you bought a bass... wow.. admiration wear off after a hour and you relise you have alot of hard graft ahead of you to become "A PLAYER".Heck im still crap.wooten or miller or they are to jazzy try primus or early chilis. either will show you wat you can really do wit those four strings

10.GIGS
    SO YOUVE MADE IT.... your hear.. dont mess get your amp set up.. A GOOD SET UP IS A GOOD SHOW.. dont sleep enjoy every minute of people sayin good i wish i could play bass... they arent all sayin "what a wanker"

11.Oppisite sex
    K BEIN MALE.. MY FAVE TRICK IS AS FOLLOWS
    1. get a A4 page and a black felt pen
    2.write down the body part you wanna see
    3. tape it to the back side of your bass
    4.flash it to the audience and wait
    5.IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

either one im just another newbie wanker tryin to make it in this funky world but consider at least a few of these to guide you through your progression....

THANKS
    1 irish wanker sayin good nite :meh:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks...relatively new guy... (??)

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    12. Don't make stupid posts.

Not to be mean, but this is just a horrible post. Don't we have a zillion floated newbie threads? Plus, doesn't half of this board contain posts of newbies getting their questions answered?

4. Don't rag on Mark. He's awesome. Back off him.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    [Christopher Walken] The cow can walk, baby [/Christopher Walken]

Idk what that means.

Sure this could be a healpful thread, but i still dont see why. Its like, remotely helpful, bassist power, thread.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Yeah! His mad chops totally got me into the whole Jazz/fusion side of things. Just the way he handles the instrument is amazing.

7. Haha. It's...Flea Claypool.

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It's more like "I'm the all knowing newbie who knows how to be awesome" thread.

9. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    WOW i never said i was awesome or any of this bassist power ****e
    all i said was im new to the game and i admit it

10. You needed all that to tell us one simple thing? Maybe I'm just missing the point here...

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    So why the preaching?

12. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    ever had one of those days when you have had enough and have to lash out well ive been recording and have had a week of it... so im sorry to tale it out on you guys i was just tryin to help ill get lost from now on....
    SORRY

13. appler

appler Guest

I think there's a newbie-advice thread already, and a lot of those "rules" don't actually pertain to basses, which is the topic of this forum. And I think somewhere in the guidelines, TalkBass asks everybody to type properly and stuff.

By the way, what censored word ends in an 'E'?
    Just curious.

14. I wish I could just speak the language - so I could refute or support...but I have no idea what the hell the kid is saying.
    Hands up to the return of discernable English (if that's what was attempted in his posts).

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wrong forum. And based on the abuse you are getting, it would be more humane to close this than move it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.