Warning to Carvin R600/1000 series II owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TJBass, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Our singer stepped on my guitar cable last week and bent the plastic passive input jack, I had a replacement from carvin so I had it installed. Unfortunately the tech who installed it burned thru the circuit board that the input jacks are soldered to. I called Carvin to get a replacement circuit card and they informed me they don't make them anymore and that the series III card and input jacks are not compatable with the series II head. Now I have a 600 watt paper weight. Just thought I'd let you guys know....
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If I was in your shoes, that tech would have a 600 watt paperweight and I'd have $590 of his money......(unless he actually likes physical pain or a trip to appear on "Judge Judy").
  3. I am contributing it more to carvins design, not so much a bad circuit board but the cheezy plastic threaded input jack, the reason the card burned thru was mainly because I had to have Carvin replace one already cause it came from the factory stripped out. I guess I learned you can only solder/desolder so many times on one board. I'm usually very careful about the strain relief on my cables, must have gotten sidetracked that night, oh well, here we go again, somebody wanna buy my cab so I can buy a new amp?!
  4. Hey man, I feel your pain.

A real tech should still be able to repair it. It may take a little point-to-point soldering, but IT IS repairable.

Don't let it become an overgrown paperweight at your expence.

Besides, you know Carvin's aren't known as the best paperweights, something to do with component choice, cabinet design, and that 12ax7 in the pre... you might be better off with a SVT or Eden if you want a great paperweight... :D
  5. the tech should have to fix it...a real tech would take responsibility for his mistake and fix it...i reckon i could fix it, there would have to be a way.
  6. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    That is why I always wrap the cable around a handle on the amp or speaker cab before it goes to the input of the amp. To absorb any shock or pulling.
  7. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    If that tech can't fix it, that tech should have to pay you at least the amount that head goes for used.
  8. so how much were you thinking of selling that wrecked carvin for? i'm a bit interested.
    not sure though
  9. Actually looking to sell the 4-10 cab so I could trade my amp in to carvin for an upgrade, atleast then I can run the amp thru the PA with the other cab I have as a monitor. Why, how much you give me for it????