1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warning to my fellow bassists!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, May 7, 2006.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Found this ad on Bassgear.com:
    FOR SALE: New York City Guitars
    Posted: : 05/07/2006
    Category: Basses
    Condition: Brand New
    Asking Price: $SCAM

Hey man I just got hit Hard from New York City Guitars, Bought a Bass and They Claimed UPS Lost it and gave them a Bad Tracking number, The number they sent me didn't even work, UPS said it was Fake 1z950h338t982k. If anyone has had any problems like this please email me. My email address sometimes works and sometimes not but Please try me if you can help. I Lost $2756 on this scam. Thanks Robert

FULL NAME: Robert Millens
    PHONE:
    CITY, STATE: Los Vegas Nevada
    EMAIL: gocartrob@earthlink.net

Woody's note: I'Ve seen ads about New York City Guitars in the past. STAY AWAY FROM THESE GUYS!

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Was this sold to you here on TB or Ebay or ??? Either way, BUMMER!!!

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    It wasn't me. I know they used to post ads on Bassgear, but I don't know where they got him.

4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

This identical issue concerning New York City Guitars has been mentioned a number of times in the past on Bassgear. Always the same situation - lost in transit - no tracking number available.

5. Calif De Funk

Calif De Funk Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Sweden
    Actually, there should be no issues here. If NYCG failed to deliver, they must return your money to you! Or trace and deliver. Period!

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Could also be BS by somebody who's pissed for some reason at the owner of NYC guitars. I'm not that familiar with them but I know they've been in business for a while. I find it interesting also that the person who posted claims sometimes his email works, sometimes it doesn't. What's that all about? The whole thing is pretty vague also. Why didn't he mention what kind of bass? The more I think of it - the more I think that ad itself is a scam. Full name: Robert Milens. Gimme a break.

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

I don't think it's BS Joe. As Woodchuck pointed out, there was quite a flurry of activity around this same type of a "mishap" a few months ago, maybe a year ago on bassgear.com. This was complete with accusations by several purchasers and rebuttals (some fairly nasty) by the proprietors of New York City Guitars. It was enough to make me resolute that I would never do business with that company.

Peace,

James

8. Here's the biggest problem: you're using bassgear.com

9. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I was wrong once. There's a possibility it could happen again.

10. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    +1

11. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    You live in LOS vegas. I thought the city was LAS Vegas. How can you mispell your own city's name? Hmmmmm.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    LOL!

13. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    A little more proof that perhaps I AM right over here?

One person can do lots of damage if they want by posting numerous times under different names about the same kinda crap. It's also interesting that people are complaining at bassgear.com only. Haven't heard anyone here complain.

14. Maybe you just did. Gotta start somewhere...:eyebrow:

15. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    ????

16. You said,
    , and I was just commenting that,
    , meaning that Woodchuck is now complaining here, and you're hearing it. Sorry; didn't mean to confuse...;)

17. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006

Exactly; why are we even talking about this?

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    In a perfect world. NYCBG has had about 8 complaints in which they've given fake tracking #'s and failed to return the money. One of the guys went on Bassgear to answer the charges and all he did was hurl insults, but he NEVER responded to specific allegations. Bottom line: I'd never buy from them, and will do my best to talk anyone cosidering it out of it. He even admitted sending someone a fake parts bass that was advertised as a vintage Jazz. His excuse? The person wrote the ad wrong, but at the same time, he told the guy, "All sales are final". Hell no, that doesn't cut it! If you're cool with that, then go for it.

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Because the thread starter is not the guy that got ripped off.

20. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Ok, this got me curious just to check out NYC Guitars. Not to buy, just to see what they're like. Can't find a website for them...anyone??? Not even a yellow pages listing!