Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warped neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ninkompoop, Nov 27, 2003.

1. ninkompoop

ninkompoop

Apr 20, 2003
    Hello,

I have a 'pretty new' Spector NS2000/4 neck thru here, that I am having a couple problems with..

I'm planning on taking it in to a shop in the next couple weeks to get it set up, plus get a new volume pot for my bridge pickup, which has never worked since I recieved it.. :(

I decided to finally try lowering the action about a week ago, which resulted in a rediculous ammount of buzzing.. After looking at the neck very carefully, I noticed it actually seems to be warping 'inward'.. I'm not sure if I recieved the bass like this, or if it just spontaniously happened, somehow..

I tightened the truss rod a little, although this helped with the buzzing, the neck still has a noticable 'bend' to it when looked at carefully...It's not even a big warp, but just knowing its there kinda bugs me..

My question is, could it be 'bad' for the bass to be used in this situation? I mean, if I loosen the strings and not use it, the neck I would assume, would go straight again..until ofcourse the strings are tightened..

I would try tightening the truss rod further.. but it really didnt seem to want to move anymore when I adjusted it last.. I REALLY do not want to **** this bass up...I already scratched the virgin headstock with an allen key when it was stuck in the truss rod nut, I had to pull it out with some force...RrrRRiiipPPppP!.........I still feel ill when I think about that moment... The flawless flesh of my spector being torn appart by none other than...my clumsy self with an allen key! :( ..Hey, can semi-deep scratches on high gloss be fixed? :|

damn, man..

Anyway.. I'd just like to know if it should be safe to continue playing this bass until I can get it into a shop.. It is a neck thru, and I'd really like to be sure the neck will last.. This is basically the one and only instrument I have ever wanted, and now that I have it in my posession, I dont even know if its going to survive! Kind of a ****ty feeling if you ask me..

Thanks.. :)

2. After a long enough time you can probably fix it. A picture of the scratch would be nice. But if you can't fix it then you'd beable to least make it a lot less noticable.

[edit]
    oh, and it also depends on where the scratch is ... if it's on the head stock then i'm assuming the truss rod is liek the trus rod on my fender strat. You might have to take off the tuners to beable to get to the scratch ... i'm guessing though ... i have no idea what your bass looks like or what the scratch is like. Post a picture and me, or somone who knows better then i do will be able to help you.
    [/edit]

[/|\]

3. ninkompoop

ninkompoop

Apr 20, 2003
    Well, here is the bass..

[​IMG]

And the scratch is directly above the trussrod cover, going vertically, a couple inches long...looks really bad. (the scratch isnt in the pic, obviously..)

[​IMG]

Of course it would be nice to make the scratch disapear somehow...but my main concern at the moment is wondering if I am damaging the neck at all by playing it while it is not straight..

4. Is the bass uncomfortable to play?
    because basses and guitars are supposed to have SOME bow to the neck.

5. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    It should have a bit of a bow... personally I'd try tightening it more if tere is too much of a bow, but if you feel uncomfortable doing so, just hold off untill you can get it into a repair guy/luthier...

I don't see how playing it is going to hurt anything... I mean, ya, have at er, it won't get hurt.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved...

7. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    Definitely take it in to get it set up. The neck should have some inward bow (called "relief,") which is caused by the tension the strings exert between the headstock and bridge. How much bow is a matter of personal taste, but you should start with a professional setup to get the relief and action within reasonable parameters. Then you can play it like that for a while and see what further adjustment you might like.

Doing your own setups isn't hard, but I'd recommend being very methodical and precise about it. That will allow you to reproduce your favorite settings whenever you need to (which might be as the seasons change, or even when you change strings.)