Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warped neck!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Apr 27, 2001.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    so THAT'S why my fretless sterling has to have the action up so high for it to not buzz! :(

what do i do now? can i just level the fingerboard to even it out, or do i need a new neck....

and why do necks warp (this is my second neck to warp....)?

jason

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Did you check your truss rod? And it could be because of it getting wet, if it isn't just your truss rod.

3. Take it in to a shop. You can ruin the neck if you adjust the truss rod incorrectly. Find a guitar repair shop with people who know their stuff. They may even adjust it for free.

I saw a 9-string Warrior bass at NAMM that had a big crack in the fretboard. Probably caused the the truss rod!

- Dave

4. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    If this is your second neck that warped then I have to ask myself if it's something you are doing wrong.Are you leaving it in your car for longer than the occasional hour here or there?,or are you storing it indoors near a heating/AC vent?,or have you been doing your own truss rod "adjustments"?.Assuming that the necks in question have a proper finish on them[that you haven't sanded off] then you are either very unlucky or are doing something wrong [see above] inadvertantly that you shouldn't do.All you can do now is see if a tech can do something to try and fix it for you or alleviate the problem somewhat.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well...the first bass that warped on me was the p-bass copy i had from 92-94...i've had this sterling for 6 years now, and it's been warped maybe a year....?

am i maybe being to harsh with truss rod adjustments?

well, the guitar player in the band i'm in also does repairs, and he's gonna level the fretboard to counter it...needed it to be sanded anyways....

jason

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    There's an article on www.ernieball.com about that in their faq section, I believe you're supposed to put some sort of oil on the neck of sterlings/stingrays once a year.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Some times people forget that after you tighten/loosen a truss rod that the neck will still be "adjusting" itself for a day or so, it is wood after all, not a noodle! try doing the neck adjustments a little bit at a time. Some necks seem to respond slower than others do. Good luck.

8. are you playing a WARWICK?...warwicks are made entirely out of wood (which gives it a good feel and tone.) but getting it wet and playing in different climates or weather can warp the wooden neck...that's the only part i hate about Warwick

9. What do you mean by "made entirely out of wood"? Aren't most basses made out of wood?

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my warwick is rock solid, and i bet it still will be in 300 years.

but this will learn me to be more patient with truss rod adjustments.

jason

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    CrawlingEye, not oiling the fretboard won't cause neck warpage.

Don't level the fretboard with a warped neck. The truss rod just needs to be adjusted, and should be done by an EXPERIENCED TECH, like Dan G said. If you level the fretboard to compensate for the neck, you'll find the fretboard will slope at a REALLY strange angle, and make for some pretty interesting playing (not to mention some fun for the buyer if you sell it).

Fix the neck warpage using the truss rod...don't level the fretboard (well, you can, but AFTER the neck is back to straight/slight backbow).

12. wait i heard that maple necks don't have to be oiled. Is that true?

i have a rosewood neck, does that have to be oiled?

what kind of oil do are you supposed to use?

how often do you oil it?

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Nono, you have a rosewood fretboard, not neck. You don't oil maple (generally) and you dont oil necks (generally).

Rosewood should be oiled maybe every 1-5 years, but it totally depends on climate and conditions. Youre Ibanez should be fine.

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    It says on the MM site that MM necks should be oiled. I suppose it's because they don't put any real finish on them, but just oil them.

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    That's basically to keep the finish the same. Its not structural, like oiling a fretboard CAN be. Oiling the neck is almost more cosmetic, whereas some fretboards crack if too dry (some necks do, but NOT from not oiling).

16. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I have a warwick and a music man stingray, first warwick has a two way truss rod that is patented to warwick and is easy to adjust , music man has a fender type truss rod, Leo fender was the designer, fender necks need to be reset any time you change string gauge, did you change the gauge and not adjust the neck? if so it will need to have adjustments, if not it will buzz and if you use round-wound strings it will be bad and make the neck look like a up bow also it will take a warped look. how is your intonation? it may be a small adjustment that a tech can do in 5 min.

17. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i may have said the wrong thing...

it's TWISTED. lengthwise it's properly bowed, but side to side as it gets towards the nut the bass side goes down farther than the treble side.

like if you took a ruler and held it one end in each hand, and rotated eachend in an opposite direction. THAT'S what it looks like.

jason

18. Hmm, do you detune your E to D regularly? I used to play in standard tuning most of the time, then detune for a gig with the rock band i was in. Over the years this put a warp like yours in the neck, In my case it's not fixable unless I get a whole new neck.

19. TWISTED NECKS - REPAIR

MORE HERE

[​IMG]
    Treena