Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warped neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Mar 9, 2003.

1. now matter how high i raise my action, on my MIM there is a serious dead spot on D spot at the 17th fret. There is no sustain, and a lot of fretbuzz.. please help.

2. There's nothing you can really do about the dead spot - it's a common characteristic of the Fender style necks. Though some don't have it, a lot do.

Your other problems should be solved with a true setup including but not limited to a trussrod adjustment, fret leveling, nut examination, and saddle adjustment. Just raising the saddles is not the way to go about getting things worked out. Since you are a vet around here, all of the info you need for doing this yourself is available with a search. To get you started on understanding this procedure, here's a link that gives a good explanation of what's involved:

http://members.aol.com/jlsmith42/aj/setup/aj-setup.htm

Hope this helps

3. thanks hambone, i'm a vet around most of the forums, but a newbie when it comes to setup!