1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

warped neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FLbassist11, Jul 11, 2012.

1. FLbassist11

FLbassist11

Jul 10, 2012
    The last time I had my Dean bass strung, the strings rubbed on the frets so bad that I could not play open notes, or anything in the first few frets. I took the strings off, now the neck doesn't appear to be warped, at least not to the naked eye. If I remember correctly, it actually never appeared to be warped.

I am going to attempt to adjust the trust rod. Which way do I turn it in order to fix my problem?

If this doesnt work, how else can I diagnose my problem?

Thanks

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The mnemonic is: Righty-Tighty...Lefty Loosey

I always loosen it a bit first to avoid possibly damaging the trussrod or nut.

If you don't want to try it or it doesn't help you may want to have a tech check it out.

3. FLbassist11

FLbassist11

Jul 10, 2012
    Yes I understand right is tight and left is loose :)

However that doesnt tell me which way I will need to turn the nut. Does tightening it bring the neck forwards (towards the bridge)? Or is it the other way around? I am assuming that since the first few frets are touching that the neck has become bowed away from the bridge.

Also, the bass isn't worth the money to bring it to a guitar shop, so its DIY or its just going to rot.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Like I said, loosen it a bit first and while it's loose you can check to see if it changes anything. Adjust as required after that.

Tightening the rod will flatten the neck and loosening it will allow the strings to pull it into more of a bow.

IME, loosening it some can restore the relief at the nut end.

It could also be that the nut slots may be too deep or a combination of that and a lack of relief in that area.