1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warped OLP Pick Guard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PinKushin, Aug 7, 2017.

1. PinKushin

PinKushin

Aug 7, 2017
    Hey guys. I just picked up my bass after 10 years and the pick guard is warped outwards. I found a couple ways of fixing it, but its celluloid on a plastic back so I'm a little worried about it catching fire. I know using the sun would be safe but I was hoping for something a little quicker. I imagine a heat gun would be the quickest way of doing it. I just need confirmation I'm not gonna burn down my house lol. I also am wondering if anyone has any advice on removing rust from the screws and strings but that isn't really all that important since I had it setup right before I stopped playing. If I should of bumped the old thread with this question I'm sorry. Please don't ban me.

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Rust on strings and screws can be gotten rid of easiest by replacing them. You could remove the strings and screws into a plastic container like a tupperware sandwich box and try some vinegar and baking soda. For the pickguard, mount it on a piece of 1/2 - 3/4 inch plywood and bake it at about 175-300 degrees for and hour or so, turn the oven off and let it cool in the oven. The flash point for wood is in excess of 500 degrees, Plastic is up in the same area too except for polyethelene which is about 350. Plastic will get mallable somewhere between 130-300 depending on the plastic.

3. PinKushin

PinKushin

Aug 7, 2017
    Its not a plastic pickguard, the backing is plastic but the front is cellulose. Cellulose is highly flammable so the oven trick won't work. I think I'm just gonna use the sun. It's probably the safest.