1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warped Stingray neck.. what would you do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NickFromNY, Feb 3, 2018.

1. dfoehr

dfoehr Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2006
    PHX
    I had EB replace a neck on my 84 stingray. Cost about $400. Was pleasantly surprised the new neck was quarter sawn. If you can afford it and like the bass, I would suggest this option.

2. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Ouch

3. Rick Penrose

Rick Penrose

Dec 8, 2014
    Virginia
    I have (had) an 87 EBMM with a neck warp (ramp). A local luthier shimmed the neck to remove the ramp. Worked great! Bass plays great now. Depending on how bad the warp is, has anyone considered a shim?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    @NickFromNY are you the original owner?

If yes, EBMM may offer you a better deal on a new neck. A new neck might increase the value of the bass since it’s not really “collectible”. Then, you should be able to receive a decent price if you choose to sell.

If you’re not the original owner, you may want to sell it “as is”, and let the new owner make all of these neck decisions.

5. Sounds like you'd prefer to fix the neck before other options. To make a profit from labor brings the price up to same as a new MM neck.
    If you don't want to keep it anyway, just sell it under: For Parts or Not Working. Somebody like me or a parts stripper will buy it.
    Quickly gone and forgotten.

6. whamni

whamni

Jul 16, 2017
    U.K
    I have a 79' Pre EBMM with a warp, I had it shimmed, but not the neck it used to be, it's hanging on the wall now.
    I too went down the road of a Status, but changed my mind at the last minute and bought a Sire V7 !
    I see on the Status website it would cost you $353, not to bad for a brilliant neck.
    I'm in the UK and it would cost me more because of the dreaded TAX !

7. Bunnoodle

Bunnoodle

Nov 29, 2017
  8. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    I have a Warmoth Jazz neck (21 frets) on a StingRay body. Looks odd, but works great.

9. bassman28

bassman28 Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 31, 2010
    North Carolina
    Basspluckers.com
  10. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
  11. Shishka Bob

Shishka Bob Supporting Member

May 28, 2017
    CT
    Definitely give this a shot - He only mentions it briefly, but it can not be understated that, especially on a bass neck, you can get great results counter-bowing the neck slightly, and then set the truss rod. Give it a try. As was stated earlier, you have nothing to loose.

If you try this please post an update.

12. NickFromNY

NickFromNY Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I have decided to sell the instrument as is and it is off to another TB'er