Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warped Tour 2002...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ad Nauseam, Jun 24, 2002.

1. I knew I was asking for trouble but I had a free ticket and nothing else to do, so what the hey?
    I really knew I was in for it, though, when a "DO THE DEW" 4x4 truck screamed past me while I was trying to find a parking spot amidst what could have been a new SUV sales lot.

I arrived by myself in mid 90 degree weather with very little shade anywhere. First thing that I noticed was that there were very few Punks to be seen anywhere... this is a self-proclaimed "Punk tour", right?
    I waded through a sea of string bikinis and khaki shorts for a good half an hour just trying to find a place to buy a soda. When I finally did, it cost me $3 for a 20oz bottle of Pepsi. I was out $3 but at least I could bring myself some relief from the horrid heat.
    Now it was time to see who I had missed.
    I got directions to the giant inflatable playlist from some guy who knew me. The event had started at 11:30am but I didn't arrive until 3:00 in the afternoon.
    I had missed The Casualties and Anti-Flag, I was a bit dissapointed but not overwhelmed with loss.
    Flogging Molly was going to hit the stage soon, and it quickly became apparent that they were the best band that I was going to see that day.
    The Damned weren't playing.
    Rancid wasn't.
    Lars Fredrickson and the Bastards weren't.
    No sign of The Dropkick Murphys either.

Flogging Molly put on a great 30 minute set that began to stifle my upset stomach. I was really feeling nauseated by the nasty pop-punk and ska tunes that floated around the area from the 6 or 7 different stages. There were even some nu-metal crap bands to appease the kids who like a bit of Slipknot with their Greenday.
    By this time I had met up with a few of my friends who had no idea why they had came either. We had caught the tail-end of ReelBigFish's set and were on the verge of vomiting.
    Bad, bad music. Makes you wonder if MTV hasn't relocated their headquarters to Orange County.

My friends and I managed to see some members of The Casualties perform at another booth. Yes, a booth. It was like listening to a poor quality tape of live Casualties.
    By this time I was thirsty as all hell again and I bought Gatorade. A SMALL gatorade. Another $3.
    My friends and I started to calculate the profit margin for this sort of scam.
    A case of 15 small Gatorades go for about $10 at any wal-mart or Sam's Club and therefore averages out to an actual .67 cents per gatorade with a $2.33 markup for a total profit of $34.95 per case. One of these vendors could easily sell about three or four cases per hour for a profit of $104.85 to $139.80.
    And this is assuming that they purchase the gatorade from a warehouse type bulk store and not Gatorade themselves, who would probably sell the cases to the vendors direct for about 25 cents a bottle.

Back to the rest of the show.
    I stuck it out for Alkaline Trio and Bad Religion, despite the feeling that I was wittnessing the end of all things decent in this world. Bad Religion did a great job and even did a little guitar duel with NOFX on the stage next to them. When Bad Religion left the stage, I left the concert.
    All half-way interesting booths shut down despite having another two hours to go before the event itself was over. There had been an Anti-Racism booth and a ErnieBall booth I had wanted to visit.
    I think I shut down when I walked through the front gates.

Throughout the show my friends and I received about as many stares as we would if we had been at a Garth Brooks concert. I guess the MTV/X Games crowd is a bit more accepting of Khakis and cell phones than they are of tattoos and mohawks. I can tolerate curious, whimsical, or even threatening stares from people at a grocery store but not a "Punk" concert. More than one person asked me if I was in one of the bands, handfulls of various CD's to be signed if I were.
    Punk is indeed dead and the MTV generation is who killed it.
    That was the first and last time I'll ever participate in the warped tour.

~Ad

2. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I was there too. It was way to hot to want to do anything, if you thought it was hot at 3:00, it was hell at 12-2. The prices for drink were awful, my friend spent more money on drink than cds and shirts and whatnot. The Stop Racism booth was hard to get help from, they were probably open when you went there, but didnt want to help you (I had to walk into the booth and talk to a guy before I could get any help) it seemed lots of people running the booths got lazy as the sunset, I mean the fastest drummer thing ended at 5, dont you think people would still be trying to do that until the end? My friend wouldve won the fastest bass drum part if we went there an hour earlier.

Flogging Molly were easily the best (NOFX was up there too) they even talked about the World Cup, which made my day. NOFX played some of my favorite songs of theres, they had that reggae group that played about an hour earlier come out for Rancid's "Radio"

Its too bad you missed Anti-Flag, they played right before the heat started getting to people, so the crowd was still energetic (compared to NOFX where most seemed too tired to try to sing)

All in all, it was way to hot to really get into it, if its not 90+ degrees next year (if I go) itll probably be much better.

3. Yeah, I hear ya. I kept getting called over to a motorola booth or some sort of cell phone thingy. It was like I was at some carnival but I was playing the role of both the freaks and the spectators. The person was like "You! With the fuzzy mohawk! Come here!".

*** would I do with a cell phone!?! If I needed one I would have one, and I really don't need to be pestered by some hip MTV dude into purchasing one at a "punk" show! Yikes!
    And if I wanted to see a bunch of X-game BS then I would go see Tony Hawk, better than watching a bunch of kids wipeout on the halfpipe while wishing they were Tony Hawk.

I was expecting a lot more booths that would focus on world affairs and awareness, instead I got energy drinks and sunglasses. What should have been a rally for the punk lifestyle turned out to be the epitome for everything punk is not. I saw people carrying zines that had all the bands in them, the pictures made them look like the backstreet boys!
    And I saw no underground zines at all.

Just like Lollapalooza started out as a good idea, the warped tour has become a corporate tool.

~Ad

4. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Was Thursday there?

5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    This all makes me even more PISSED for missing the last two WTs. Im not really sure if I even want to invest my time in money. This whole ordeal sounds like everything I hate about the recent evolution of punk.

6. ndjx,
    I don't think so, but they might as well have been.
    :rolleyes:
    Thrice was there, but I beat feet before they came on. (I really didn't want to see all the little yuppie girls in halter tops start crying to "emocore")

Old_skool,
    Yes, tis true. Oh how the mighty have fallen, and they have fallen to sponsers and endorsements and record deals.
    Sad when bands like Flogging Molly are upstaged by the likes of Lagwagon or Ozma. My only hope now is to never see them opening for Dropkick Murphys (hey, I like dropkick, but you know WHO should open for WHO in that scenario!)
    Like when BAD RELIGION OPENED for Blink 182! I was thinking "What is wrong with THIS picture!?".

~Ad

P.S. - The biggest cheer I heard from the audience that day was when ReelBigfish (Pig-vomit disguised as a band) did a cover of Ah-Ha's "Take on me".

That should horrify most of us sane Punkers out there.

7. punk or not, it IS a big summer festival tour, so you have to expect most of that stuff.

that said, warped tour is a colossal waste of time and money. i went last year just to see bouncing souls (who i missed) and rancid (although me first and the gimme gimmes were unexpectedly good). it was definitely not worth the other crappy bands and the general atmosphere and attitude of the crowd.

8. I don't know if you have ever seriously listend to Lagwagon (or seen 'em live) but IMO they are completely different from most of the stuff out there, really, they are quite good!

9. Does Vans even still put their name on the Warped Tour? I can't imagine that many of these prepped-out kids are particularly interested in skateboarding.

10. Right on, bug.
    Lagwagon kills, absolutely kills. They're one of my favorite bands, both live and on record. They're the sole reason I'm going to Warped this year.

11. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I heard that Bad Religion did that whole tour as a joke. The bass player from BR was interviewed and he said that every night it was mostly parents and little kids,and he said that one night they all came on half-drunk and played there hardest songs to scare them.HAHAHAHA that wouldve been awesome to see.

Now I'm not sure if I even wanna go to Warped Tour anymore seeing that everything is so expensive and theres not that many bands I wanna see.I only had about 7 bands in mind and a few of them are probably gonna be playing at the same time.Mine is in August too so its gonna be suicide in that heat.

12. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I like Reel Big Fish.

13. It's things like this that make me not want to identify with the 'punk' crowd. But thereagain, no matter what you do, there's something to drag it down.

Which is why I vote for apathy! I've given up caring who/what/when/where I am, etc. Let people think what they do. Because I do what I want. Hell, I was ridiculed openly from 4 people I've never seen before at the mall today for dressing oddly. I never even looked at them. Because I didn't care.

**** everything.

14. Wow, where to start?
    Lagwagon and ReelBigFish were probably the two bands that brought the atmosphere to the point that made me want to vomit. I didn't stay for Lagwagon but I have heard them and could have lived a happier life never knowing they existed. ReelBigFish was like being locked in a room with a drunken, trombone-equiped Pauly Shore.

Bad Religion may have thought they were being cute and funny by opening for Blink, but they knew full well what they were doing. They were exposing themselves to mindless masses who blindly soak up anything that is offered to them. In an interview with Rocky Mt News:
    "We felt we had some good songs, and they should be heard by more people," Graffin said unapologetically. "Blink 182 is very reverent" about the forefathers of punk, like the Descendents, and "we took their invitation seriously."
    While on stage at WT, Greg Graffin shook the contents of his Aquafina onto the crowd. He did this jokingly, adding such comments as "Aquafina, so refreshing! I love sponsors! Aquafina, a Pepsi product!"
    Joking or not, it was free publicity for Aquafina, where as Flogging Molly opted to encourage the crowd to flip off a giant Miller beer bottle.

Regardless of the scope of the event, I would never consider a 30 minute set anymore then a teaser to sell more merch. Even local bands (my own included) rarely play for less than 40 minutes. Every band I saw at WT played about 5 or 6 songs and then split.
    Vans are still the main promoters for the tour, though you would think Mt. Dew, Motorola, Oakleys and MTV probably get a fair share from it.
    I wore my old Airwalks.:p

~Ad

15. Go on, tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back. ;)

Seriously, dude. You're not giving us 100%.

"In our purest sense, we were always attempting for subversion. We learned something from the hippies that, unfortunately, the punks at the same time didn't learn, and that is that rebellion is obsolete. In a healthy capitalistic world, rebellion is just something else to market. Even quicker than the hippies became hip capitalists, the punks became T-shirts and bumper stickers. We took our cues from the Viet Cong and the subversives during WWI and WWII in Europe, as opposed to from the hippies and the punks."--Mark Mothersbaugh (Devo)

I'm somehow reminded of the infamous incident in which Tool, opening for Rage Against the Machine, had the crowd "baa"-ing like sheep; 45 minutes later, without a trace of irony, Zach de la Rocha had them chanting in unison, "I am an individual!"

I know where you're coming from on that. I would think that the bands themselves would get sick of playing such short sets--there's not enough time to develop any crowd energy, which is already gonna be low because it's an outdoor festival in hot weather with ridiculous overpricing.

Now, see, that's how you do it. Culture-jamming and subversion.

16. Peter,
    Always a pleasure to numbly bump noggins with you. You always talk big despite having a fear for small insects.:p
    Mothersbaugh had a point, but not everything he says is necessarily the way it is. Sure, WT is a capitalistic scam to turn big profit, but first they have to promote the show as being "Punk" in order to turn "Punk" into "Buck". Is Punk marketable? Absolutely. Is Punk marketable if left in it's pure form? Absolutely not. Sex Pistols proved that by their immediate collapse when pushed to the limits of success. They proved it even further on their "reunion" tour after selling the rights to "Route 66" to Mt Dew and then charging up the yinyang for tickets. Rebellion is marketable but sensibility and leftism is a quality all in it's own. Rebellion might lead the horse to water but will the horse do volunteer work?

The show had few Punk bands and even fewer Punk related propaganda. By Propaganda I mean clubs, zines and merchandise that focuses on world events, homeless, injustices, etc.
    The unhelpful anti-racism booth and a booth about the West Memphis Three were the only booths that remotely appealed to me (besides the free Yoo-Hoo booth, which gave you a shot of Yoo-Hoo like they were trying to get you hooked on crack). All other booths focused on gadgets, gizmos, wardrobe and drinks. (oh, and crappy bands and labels)
    I can go to Rollins or Fugazi or others and get a few handfuls of pamphlets on POW's, world hunger and Amnesty International. Something educational that I can leave the show knowing that, not only did I see a kick ass band, but I gained something of value.
    This show was a laughable parody of Punk.

~Ad

17. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Reel Big Fish's new cd is TERRIBLE,but Turn The Radio Off is one of my favorite ska cds.

Let's face it guys,every company is trying to get into the punk movement because they realize that in teenagehood its cool to be "different".Listen to the bands you like and leave it at that.If you hate it this much then stop complaining and go do something about it.

18. Sometimes I'm glad that I live in Alaska, and no one ever tours here...

But, I see the whole "punk" thing being thrown around. Everyone who thinks they are "true punks" will soon be outcasts again. Don't worry about that. I have a feeling the "punk" phase in society is going to slowly fade away, and then those who were either there before the trend, or really believe in the music, and the culture, other than to just fit in and be one of the "cool kids," will be left to wallow in the feeling of being outcasts again. Just give it time...anyone else here think that as well?

-Dave

19. Oh, and another thing...Ad Nauseam...Listened to your mp3's...scared the paganism right out of me. Haven't decided if that's a good thing or not, yet...

-Davis

20. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I know what ya mean Sock.

I really hate the whole "im punker than you" attitude.I wish there was never a label called a punk.I never considered myself "punk",i just listen to punk rock.Some people vandalize government property and have mohawks and act like they enjoy punk rock more than me just because of that.I've had enough of it.