Warped?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jimstyx, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    I will start this with an I am sorry this will be a Long question.

I have a squier p affinity I got beginning of august I noticed fret one is at 2-3mm
    Fret twelve is at 10-11mm
    I've tried adjusting the saddle to no avail. I have a full warranty through GC
    But they do not have my bass in stock. I'm worried If I can't get it fixed because it is warped, they will ship a new one and it will have issues.
    My question is , does this sound like a warp?
    And If I have to chose another bass because they don't have one do I have a chance of grabbing some extra bucks out of em for my trouble? Maybe get something a little better?
    I had my family put it on lay away for me and I paid them for it. They also picked it up for me so I couldn't of seen this in store. If you need more pics let me know. I don't want to void my warranty, so no super tweakage please.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Are your saddles bottomed out? If so, from the looks of things 'super tweakage' can't be avoided. It looks to me like you need a shim. That doesn't void the warranty.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  3. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    I called GC an they said I can either use my pro coverage warranty to get a new one that might have similar issues
    Or pay 50$ plus strings to get it fixed at that GC any thoughts I appreciate the answer? I'm new so I don't know the best options. And I don't know if I'm qualified to do a neck shim.

4. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    A neck shim is pretty simple to do. Get a business card, loosen the strings and remove the neck. place a portion of the card at the base of the heel and cut off that portion of the card that covers any holes. While you have the neck off make sure the screws slide through the body freely; if they don't use a file or drill to make the holes in the body big enough for the screws to do that. Reattach the neck and tighten the strings until almost in tune, now make sure the strings are centered on the neck. If they are off to one side loosen the screws some and center the neck so the strings are in the right place and retighten the neck. Now, tune the strings and see how the action is. How did your strings go from hitting the pickups to a centimeter high in a week?

5. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    Even for that big of a gap a simple business card will work?

6. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Yep, usually. In extreme cases you might need two layers, but try it with one first. You are dealing with ratios here specifically a 6:1 ratio is this case,

7. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    It's not unusual that a brand new bass comes to the user in that condition. Sad but too often happens. But, I do have a big issue with the seller demanding another $50 to "repair" it. What other item can you think of that you buy new and have to have it repaired immediately before it is useable. We're not talking "adjustment" here - the owner has adjusted it as far as it will go. We are talking about repair. Bad on the manufacturer and the seller alike.

sissy kathy likes this.
  8. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    I did the shim!
    Worked up the guys and did it
    Still high but now ridiculously loud buzz and I had to bring the saddles way up to compensate now in lost about to just go to g. This weekend and have a shouting match see if I can get it fixed for free you're right I shouldn't have I buy the bass just to get a so now you want it playable fee

9. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    image.jpg

10. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    image.jpg image.jpg

11. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Put that measure immediately behind the string so it is resting on the fret. Repost. Holy crap no wonder you have 10 mm of string height!
    Where is it buzzing?

96tbird likes this.
  12. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    image.jpg image.jpg

13. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    Any lower it starts buzzing around the 12th fret

14. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    Got a little of a n bow should I try truss rod?

15. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    If I moved back the screw holding the saddle (intonation screw ?) would that help?

16. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    When you measure the string height you are measuring from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string. so the marks for mm should be placed on the fret. No the intonation screw will change the fret tuning, you are attempting to eliminate a buzz. How far up the neck does the buzz go all the way; or does it stop somewhere?

17. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    Right now there is no buzz if I lower it the buzz starts around 12+

18. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    I'm going to go set the height where I want it see from there

19. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Don't do that. 3 mm at the 19th isn't bad. For an Affinity, I think that's pretty good.And NO do not move the truss rod. The truss rod has no effect that high on the neck.

20. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    If I lower it to roughly 1mm gap string is loose in tie and it buzzes the whole way