Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warping neck...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaM13N, Apr 20, 2003.

1. DaM13N

DaM13N

Jan 30, 2002
    Singapore
    Hi all, appreciate if somebody can gimme some advice on the below issues;

1. I'm thinking of buying a Warwick Rockbass 5-string (China-made) but was told that the wood of Warwick basses are only suitable for US and European weather climate and not suitable for Asia and Singapore (where I'm from) climate as it will cause the wood to warp alot in the long run... is there any truths to it?

2. How do I prevent my bass necks from warping? This is a problem that I have been facing ever since I've been playing bass. Besides adjusting the thrust-rod, is there any way to prevent it from warping?

Thank you! :bassist:

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    putting a graphite neck on your basses.
    or buy a graphite necked bass.ie. modulus, status...peavey g-bass. etc.

steve

3. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY

I've never heard that before about Warwick necks, but I know that the necks of the Warwicks are made of Wenge(pretty sure on this one) and the necks on the Rockbasses are made of maple. So maybe what you heard was only pertaining to the Wenge necks. If this is true, you should look into a bass with reinforcement rods in the neck or like moparpunk said, buy a bass with a graphite neck.

4. Let's see here. I used to live in Singapore for 8 years and I bought my first bass in 1991 at the Yamaha store in the building where they have the Yoahan(near Cathay theater I think) Dhobie Ghout MRT station. I bought a Warwick Dolphin Pro 4 stringers for S$3500 and never had any problem with the the neck.

Comments for the other posts: Notice that the person who started this thread is thinking about getting a Rockbass and don't you think Modulus Quantums or Sonus is out of reach, price wise, compared to the Rockbass? I don't think Modulus is very popular in Singapore and I think the cheapest graphite neck that you can find is Modulus VJ Vintage Jazz, I saw it used in Bass Northwest(U$999). Hey Singapore ain't the U.S, the used market in Singapore sucks big time.

One time I visited Swee Lee music store(any abeng in Singapore knows this place) and they've never even heard of B.C Rich guitars or Hartke cabinets(and this was back in the 1990 when the hair bands were using B.C Rich).

Finding Modulus or Sonus in Singapore? I wish you luck.............

5. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Most of the time, when i have question's I call the manif, and i have always had a real good response. I saw in some other post's some of the guys had real good luck contacting warwick. i just
    played a 5string rockbass and it was awesome.
    Try these contacts:

www.danabgoods.com
    805-644-6621

www.warwickrockbass.com
    805-856-1701
    800-741-0109
    877-747-4734

i got that off a flier i picked up at the music store
    telling all about the rockbass. I liked the feel of the neck. it was a 5 piece bolt on mapel.:cool:

6. DaM13N

DaM13N

Jan 30, 2002
    Singapore
    Thanx all for answering my questions... Yup, modulusbassist, you're right! A Modulus or Sonus bass is pretty hard to get in Singapore... and it'll definitely costs me a bomb!

I actually tried the 5-string Warwick Rockbass at Swee Lee... and find it prety comfortable considering that was the 1st time I've ever played a 5-string!