1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warping Warwick Custom $$ Corvette

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dbassdan, Mar 19, 2013.

1. dbassdan

dbassdan

Dec 20, 2012
    I have a custom shop $$ that is basically unusable because of the neck moving with the slightest change in temperature, it basically needs a set up every week....can anybody give me some advice???

2. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    The Warwick $$ has a dual-action truss rod, meaning that it can put counter-pressure both UP (back bow) and DOWN (front bow) on the neck. This type of rod often has a "Neutral Spot" where there is little or no counter pressure in either direction, leaving the neck at the mercy of climate changes. Assuming that your truss rod is actually working and not stripped, you should check to see that it is adjusted to give the proper counter-pressure and not "Stuck In Neutral".

3. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    This is the third thread you've started about this issue. Have you contacted Warwick and/or the shop you bought the bass from?

4. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    Back from my bathroom break. What is the climate where you live? How far out of adjustment (clearance) does it shift? Also, unfinished necks absorb moisture more than finished necks. Do you use the Warwick Wax that should have come with the bass? This could help to seal out climate issues.

5. dbassdan

dbassdan

Dec 20, 2012
    The truss rod is working perfectly, its set at a low action around 1.5mm and the neck moves that far it moves to 5mm and more. I live in australia. It is a finished neck. Ive contacted Warwick in my country and they are ignoring me and the current shop/luthier i deal with, the shop i bought it through has shut down.

6. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Who did you contact from Warwick in Australia? Which store did you buy it from originally?

7. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    +1. Before you go on a large forum that has a lot of exposure and start giving bad press for the manufacturer of the bass, you should have contacted them first about the issue. Stuff happens, and sometimes things get passed QC, and the company probably would take care of you. I just don't really see what you're trying to accomplish by starting a thread about the issue when you haven't stated that you have even attempted to resolve the issue with Warwick first.

8. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

If you read above, he clearly states he contacted Warwick and the store he purchased this bass is no longer in business.

9. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    If the truss rod is working, as you say, a 3.5 mm fluctuation is not normal but not impossible. You say that the neck is finished (lacquer or poly... but even those are not impenetrable) you may be getting moisture in/out through the fretboard. Wax/seal that as well. I own several Warwicks and I use them BECAUSE of their exceptional stability and ability to set and hold a low action. Their neck woods are well-aged and chosen for the tone and stability of the species. One more question though: Is it possible that the shift is coming from the NECK JOINT and not the neck itself? Be sure that all the neck bolts are properly tightened.

10. I've had the same issue with other basses, all Ibanez SRs (305,405,535) and I hate constant adjusting. I ended up getting different basses.

The temp in my house varies no less than 9 degrees from coolest to warmest. That's more than some people's houses, less than others. So either:

A) Keep your temp more constant
    B) Maybe try some lower tension strings. Is the coldness of the strings that causes contracting and pulling your neck to too much relief.
    C) Try another bass, either borrowed or owned, with the same string type and conditions as your Warwick.
    D) Start your next thread about this in the Warwick forum. The official Warwick official known as Warwick Official can officially guide you in all things Warwickian.

Good luck!

11. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    I'm really curious to know who the OP contacted in Australia.

12. dbassdan

dbassdan

Dec 20, 2012
    Thanks, it is a neck through through.

13. dbassdan

dbassdan

Dec 20, 2012
    Dominant music, The bass people.

14. dbassdan

dbassdan

Dec 20, 2012
    The reason for starting the forum is to try and get some help? Ive contacted warwick in my country? Stuff happens??!!!!! Ive spent 5000 on a bass and cant use it???!!!

15. dbassdan

dbassdan

Dec 20, 2012
    Thanks!!!!! Ive tried to keep temp more constant, lower tension strings i havent?? So its worth a try, i have another bass and have no probs with that.

16. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Dominant Music have always been helpful with me. Did you actually call them or just email? A guy called Michael has generally been who I've spoken to.

You can still contact Joel from The Bass People via email as they are still selling their stock off, and as far as I know their repair guy is still around.

There are plenty of other Warwick retailers around, who are supplied by Dominant, who could help you.

17. dbassdan

dbassdan

Dec 20, 2012
    Matt the repair guy is gone, i emailed Dominant but so has the retailer i now deal with, who also deals with them. Thanks, but i really dont think a retailer that had nothing to do with the sale will help me??

18. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    Hmmmm... my bad, I'm thinking of the original $$ which were bolt-ons. OK, let's review:

3.5mm shift, truss rod appears to work, finished neck, neck-through construction...what could it be?
    1. Body itself is flexing: Be sure to wax and seal neck, fretboard and body.
    2. Bridge is unstable: Warwick bridges traditionally sit on a plate. Are all four adjustment screws on solid ground?
    3. String tension is overpowering truss rod. Rod is working but not properly: What gauge type/strings are on it? What's the scale length? (Warwick does make some 35"s)...
    4. Separation in the wood laminations: (Very doubtful)

All of these are UNUSUAL for Warwick's build quality and QC but are also indicative of improper instrument care. Even the finest instruments can face these challenges under extreme conditions. Let me know and I'll explore further.

19. dbassdan

dbassdan

Dec 20, 2012
    Neck, fretboard and body are fine, comming from my luthier.

Bridge is also fine.

Strings are elixir 130/95/75/60 but i dont think its the strings??
    Neck bows between 12-15 fret, sometimes as much as 5-6 mm and that causes twist in neck between 1-3 fret.....

20. dbassdan

dbassdan

Dec 20, 2012
    I will say again though, this only happens when there is a change in temp, weather, taking it out of the house etc....