1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warping Warwick Custom $$ Corvette

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by dbassdan, Mar 19, 2013.

1. dbassdan

dbassdan

Dec 20, 2012
    I have a custom shop $$ that is basically unusable because of the neck moving with the slightest change in temperature, it basically needs a set up every week....can anybody give me some advice???

2. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Unusual for a Warwick neck not to be stable. Is it bolt on or NT? Change strings recently? DO you leave it sit out in your house? There has been crazy weather around my way as far as big swings in temperature, humidity and they all play a role but it shouldnÂ’t be so troublesome. Is there tension on the truss rod?

3. dbassdan

dbassdan

Dec 20, 2012
    Its a neck through and it is kept in my house but in a fairly cool room out of the case. There truss rod is fine, i keep a fairly low action about 1.5 mm but if there is a change in temp the neck will bow and action will change to about 5mm.

4. dbassdan

dbassdan

Dec 20, 2012
    I havent changed strings recently and a proffesional luthier has been working on this bass for over a year to no avail......an absolute mess

5. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Is there tension on the truss rod? I have had basses built with the neck built in such a way if I put any tension on the truss rod it would cause major buzzing on 1st, 2nd, 3rd frets so I let all the tension out of the truss rod and without any stabilization from the truss rod the neck moved all around. A neck must have some truss rod tension to make it as stable as it can be. I had to God forbid again put flats on the bass and tune it a half step up and leave it like that for over a month it pulled the neck forward enough and settled to where I could take those flats off and give a good snug full turn of the truss rod making it set up better and much more stable.

6. bassaram

bassaram

Dec 31, 2012
    Philadelphia, PA
    And you could probably cheat your way out of any buzzing by raising the nut height in the meantime.