Warr 10 string on the way

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Feb 15, 2006.

1. I won this on eBay the other day. It should be on its way now.

More pics at:

Description from eBay:

Figured Walnut Top (pictures do not do justice)
    Purple heart body laminate
    Swamp Ash Body Core
    Abalone Fret Markers
    Purple Heart FIngerboard
    Wenge Paduak Neck
    Purple Heart Cavity Covers
    Walnut Headstock Overlays
    Stereo/Mono switch
    Tuning 4ths Low B to Ab
    Consistent low to high tuning (easier transition from bass or guitar)
    Sperzel Locking Tuners
    18 Volt Active Bartolini Pickups
    Black Dunlop Strap Locks
    Aluminum Support Rod for playing while sitting (optioinal - fits in back of guitar so play like cello or bass)

I think I'm going to try and tune it down to a low F#. I may even be able to get away with keeping the same strings. Since it's tapped, the low tension shouldn't be as big of a problem. I think I was able to do that on my old 8-string Warr which I sold a while back.

- Dave
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Sweet!!! Had an ADG for a while but could never get the hang of the thing... :meh:
  3. Nice one Dave!
    I didn't know he was doing 10's strung that way, way cool. I still have my 8 string artist and have been playing it a lot lately. You might have to get heavier guage strings to take it down to F# or it may be very wobbly. Let us know if it works out for you.
    Congrats in any case.
  4. What was your winning bid?

I've been looking for one in the used market for a while. Love 'em!!

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    That's pretty hot, man. Perhaps we should get together and do some slappity tappity whammying action on our respective instruments, no?
  6. I got it for $2510. It's probably worth about that. I didn't get a super deal. I really wanted it though. That's the only Warr I've ever seen with that tuning configuration.

- Dave
  7. is that lefty strung righty or just some wierd righty bass with the controls in the way.

and are you gonna sting it lefty if your lefty.
  8. That is a good deal really considering how long it takes to get one made, and the fact there are no deals when you buy them new. ;)

And it is a righty, the knobs don't get in the way at all, the way you wear a Warr the body is lower than a normal bass. Especially played in an upright position. On my Warr the pickups are on the bottom half and my midi setup is on the top side, never been in the way, just the opposite really.
    Have fun with it!
  9. ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    Dave, that support spike is a great idea

continous fourths BEADGCFBbEbAb?
    how did they manage the top string? surely it would have to be a .006 or less? Ab on 34 inch scale is really difficult..
  10. I think the Adler 12-string had a .006 on the high Ab. It had a shorter scale at that string though. From what I heard, that string broke a lot at the NAMM show when it was first shown.

Since it will mainly be tapped on this instrument, it is possible that it could hold up for a while. We'll see. I want to tune the whole thing down to a low F# anyway.

- Dave
  11. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Nice catch, Dave. You sold the 8 eh?
  12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I'm still trying to figure out if it's lefty, or righty or what.

None the less, goregous!

13. Yeah, I sold it to pay for my 9-string but I started wanting an 8-string Warr again. They guy who has my old 8-string wants the Warrior but doesn't want to trade the 8-string. Then I found this one so I'm okay again. :)

- Dave
  14. It's a righty. It's meant to be played like this:

and occasionally like this:

- Dave
  15. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Solo Bass Night at Freight & Salvage, Berkeley, California - May 17, 2006
    Featuring Michael Manring, Jean Baudin, Jeff Schmidt and Dave Grossman.

Wow, I'll have to try and catch that show!!
  16. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    few questions:

scale length?

and can the WARR be played fingerstyle? If not what exactly differentiates it from a Stick? (I'm sure this has been answered before, I apologize.)
  17. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY

Different frets, electronics, an actual body. They make a model called the Phalanx that can be played fingerstyle, and Chapman makes a Bass Stick that can be played fingerstyle as well.

Congratulations, man. An ADG 10-string is at the top of my G.A.S. list right now.