1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warranty/Protection Plan Question

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by xiolo, Nov 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Hi folks,
    Made the jump into the double bass world tonight. I picked up a used Eastman VT80 from a local music store. It's a former rental, but with new strings and checked out by their instore repair guy. It's not a Strings shop, but a great deal on a nice bass. I think of it as buying a used bass through a private sale.

My question is this, it comes with a pretty basic 1-year warranty where they will do minor repairs/setup. Anything bigger than this and I'd have to pay for shipping to have it shipped elsewhere to be repaired. There is the option of an extended 3-year protection plan where even major repairs would be covered (damage due to over/under-humidity is not covered) for an additional $200. I wasn't sure and passed on it, but I have 7-days, so I wanted to crowd-source opinions on this.

What are your thoughts?

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I think you made the right choice re the more expensive warranty. Better to establish a personal relationship with a qualified luthier for any repairs.

3. If you trust the repair person from the shop to work well on the bass, get the extended protection. Planing the fingerboard could cost as much. You might change strings or need to correct your setup later, so the money would probably be well spend.
    If they don't cover humidity caused damage, it might happen that they don't cover some non-humidity caused damage with the same result too, like a cracked top. And I think they only cover damaged without impact from something/-body.

Check what a instrument insurgence costs and what would be covered by it and compare this to the shop offer.

4. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    instrument insurgence!!!!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    Jake deVilliers and Tom Lane like this.
  5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I practise instrument insurgence whenever possible! :cool:

6. Well, even though this was not intended, it seems to fit well in some way. :D

Jake deVilliers likes this.
  7. Thanks! I practiced instrument insurgence today. I learned the protection plan only covers manufacturer defects, and being that it's already 3 years old and was previously rental, I'm going to put my money on it likely to have experienced any flaws from the manufacturer by now (i could be entirely wrong). I was also sadly informed that they send the bass away to the US for repairs, when I'd much rather support the local luthier. So here's hoping for no problems that this would have covered. :)

8. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Interesting. Long & McQuade's 'Performance Warranty' has covered everything from finish to fret wear ( I dressed the frets and set up the guitar) and broken necks on double basses (I can't believe how many people think its okay to stand a DB up against the wall).

Of course, we have a large and competent repair department whereas a small store may not.