1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warranty service when not the original purchaser? Any experience?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basslime, May 10, 2015.

1. Basslime

Basslime

Apr 21, 2015
    Hey guys!

So I finally axed up - found a private seller's beautiful Squier Vintage Modified Bass which had been played twice and was in mint condition! Got it for 40% below new RRP, an absolute steal. Thanks to all of you who helped my decision-making process with your input!

The bass still has the balance of six months' warranty. However, the Fender/Squier warranty states that this warranty applies only to the original retail purchaser. I have the sales receipt with the original purchaser's name on it, but does this mean I'd have to give a fake name if I wanted to claim warranty servicing in the next six months? (I don't anticipate this being necessary, but I was going to take it in to my local authorised Fender repair centre for a set-up, and wonder if it would be problematic if they if they did find an issue that was covered by warranty. And I'm curious!)

Does anyone have any experience claiming warranty service for an instrument you've bought second-hand?

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    You won't get it, unless for some reason the manufacturer decides to do you a favor. That is the contract - that's how it works.

They also don't anticipate many problems (that are covered under the warrantee), or they wouldn't offer it.

gebass6 likes this.
  3. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

There isn't much that can go wrong with a passive bass, especially in the first year. Pro setup is key. Then, play and enjoy!

4. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Never had to use a warranty on any bass I've ever bought.New or used.
    My basses being second or third hand anyway.

Even so.Most repairs can be fixed by a local guitar repair man.
    I find repairs on a bass ARE NOT like repairs on a new car.
    And set-ups are like a periodic brake job.
    Not covered under warranty.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Are setups even covered by warranty?

GregC likes this.
  6. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've never bothered to try to get warranty service for a bass bought second hand. A warranty is afforded to the original buyer, not me, and there is specific legalese that attests to this. You can ask for help from a manufacturer that built your used bass, and most will work with you, but it's expected that you will pay for parts and any service.

Here's how warranty service works - you buy a Fender bass, something's wrong with it within the allotted warranty period, so you track down a Fender authorized service center, and have them do the required work. This service center is usually a well-established luthier in the area. The service center then bills Fender for the work, and they pay.

The money for this to happen doesn't appear out of thin air. You have to assume that there are people in place at Fender that make sure checks to service centers aren't constantly flying out the door for consumers not entitled to warranty provisions.

A warranty usually applies to materials and workmanship, and not playability, so setups are not included.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    gebass6 likes this.
  7. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Setups are not covered under warranty. Squier instruments have a 1 year warranty for the original purchaser, Fenders have a lifetime warranty.

I've had to have one Fender bass worked on under warranty, it was a Fender 70's Jazz Bass that I loved the sound of, but it had a "banana neck" and finally the truss rod cracked the fretboard and 1st fret inlay. They swapped out the bass and no issue with the replacement. I understand this was a fairly common issue on the original 70s era basses w/bullet truss rods as well.

I had also had a Yamaha BB425 with a ratting trussrod. That was also replaced.

In both cases, I had to ship the instruments back to the company for inspection.

But that's it and most folks I've owned a fair number of instruments.

Just give it a thorough check out and if it's okay, I think you'll be fine.

All the best,

Bob