Warren Zevon, RIP

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Sep 8, 2003.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I think some people getting this forst thing in the morning will want more info...

Monday, September 08, 2003

LOS ANGELES -- Warren Zevon, who wrote and sang the rock hit Werewolves of London and was among the wittiest and most original of a broad circle of singer-songwriters to emerge from Los Angeles in the 1970s, died at his home after a 12-month battle with cancer. He was 56.

A lifelong smoker until quitting several years ago, Zevon announced in September 2002 that he had been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and had been given only three months to live.
  4. Yeah, Ken, this was the first thing I heard on the radio this morning. It stinks, but, we all knew it was coming. :(

He outlived the doctors best guesses by about 8 months.

Take it easy, "excitable boy."

5. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    First thing I heard also, R.I.P Waren:(

Lawyers Guns & Money, the s*$# has hit the fan... :(
  6. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
  7. i actually went to school with his cousin. always tried to get him to bring the guy in.

what a drag to not even make it to 60.

smoking stogies. bad, bad, bad.

8. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Warren was one of the coolest guys ever. To think he died the same week as Johnny Cash, the first punk ever.:bawl:

I wonder, they say deaths come in threes. I don't think John Ritter was cool enough to be the third man in this group. Johnny and Warren were two of the biggest influences todays songwriters could have.

I remember Roland the Headles Thompson gunner, and Lawyers, Guns, and Money, and Werewolves of London.

With all the amazing songs he wrote, why are the wierd ones the ones I'm remembering?
  9. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I have never heard of him, but RIP.
  10. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    His late 80's Oslo gig is still on my top ten list.