Warrior basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the_faceless666, Dec 18, 2003.

1. the_faceless666

Mar 3, 2003
    So, what's about these basses?
    I love their look, I love their sound (Keith Horne), and their price isn't too bad either. What do you all think about it? If some of you have any experience with it, I'd like to know how it feels and sound.
    It may very well be my next SWORD!
  2. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    My friend has two 5's. The fretless is beautiful, plays and sounds great.

The fretted blows, plays bad, fingerboard sits way above the body and the pickup is mismatched to the string spacing and the B is unusable. It should have never been sold.

So that's two of them ;)
  3. Ya think?
  4. the_faceless666

Mar 3, 2003
    Ya think? [/QUOTE]

Well, for the sldier series, it isn't too bad.
  5. My signature 9-string is pretty sweet. Although, it has some fretboard straightness issues in the upper frets. I have also heard that neck issues are a common problem. I think JT can add more there.

Other than that, no real complaints. Except, the contour of the upper horn is pretty sharp in back and digs into my chest a little. Balance is pretty good and it sounds great. I still prefer Hanewinckels. I got my 9'er used from Jean Baudin.

- Dave
  6. Dave, That bass is severely over the top!!! :eek: And I LOVE it :D
  7. Thanks. First time I played it, I basically made an offer for it on the spot. Seeing how the owner had 2 Conklin 9-strings too. :)

More pics at:

- Dave
  8. theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    To the guy from Cali with the 9er. That was actually one of J.D. Lewis' first 9 string, if not the first. That bass was featured at the '99 NAMM show in Nashville. I used to endorse Warrior from 97-99 and had the pleasure of playing your bass at that time. I think I have a pic of it at the show if you would like it. As for the fingerboard issues, Im sure it has to do with the fact that it was a prototype, naturally on the first go around with a 9 string, there are going to be a few problems. Im sure J.D. and the guys have it down to a science by now. Another TB member has one of the 9ers, his name on here is Jauqo XIII, and he is from Chicago. He may or may not still have it, but I know he had one made epecially for him about 4 years ago. Anyways, Warrior makes good instruments, but they went through a period of time a few years ago where they changed major luthiers in the shop, and there was probably a few basses that managed to make their way out of the shop that were less than the quality that J.D. would prefer his name be attached to.
  9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    That's just about the same as a fretted 5 in my local music store. Used, for $1700, with a shoddy neck :rolleyes:
  10. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I have the Addam Nitti sig 5 string and the only bass I would trade it for would be a Mtd 535. The Warrior has a very fast neck, alot of tones, hangs well on a strap and is very easy to play. Low action without fret buzz. Unplugged the strings feel a little loose compared to a modulus q5 but when plugged in I didnt notice at all, even the b string. The Addam Nitti sig is my favorite looking warrior. Its not quite as "diamond" shape as the other warriors. Great bass! Mine is #6.
  11. I have played about 5 Warrior basses. Three of these were fretted 5s, which I wasn't overly impressed with. One of them was a 5 string fretless and the other a 7 string fretted. I was very impressed with the latter two. Great feel (especially the 7 string), great tone and great looks.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i have very little direct experience with warrior instruments, so take that into consideration. what i have seen, however, is that quite a few of the 7 strings that i have checked out had what neck construction weaknesses and flaws that would make me consider the instrument unusable.

again, though, i've never owned one of these instruments, just some things that were blatantly apparent to me with the ones that i've tried out (about 6 different 7 strings and a 15 string, 5 of the 7's had this problem that i coudl tell, and the 15 string as well).

this isn't an issue with the less than 7's that i've checked out, at least that i could tell.
  13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i knew that jauqo had an 8, but i didn't know that he had a 9. that 8 was pretty sweet, i recall, but i don't know if he still has it.
  14. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO

Oh no, now let's not start that again! ;)
  15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

16. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I've had three warriors, all sold now. The first was a Warrior soldier 5 w/ baselines MM pickup. It sounded pretty decent, played pretty well, but I had a heck of a time setting it up. The only way I could get it to play well was with the truss rod completely slack, and it would rattle around in the neck. The second was much better. It was also a soldier 5 with Baselines. I really liked that bass, but it was a little too agressive sounding for me at the time. That was the sound I wanted, but not the sound my band wanted. I traded it back to warrior for a Standard 5 plus, which was actually a NAMM bass (gold badge). It was mahogany body and neck, quilt maple top, bartolini MM + J in the reverse order. GREAT BASS! I really liked this one, and I sould have kept it. The warrior was really supposed to be a temporary bass for me, I was waiting for my MTD 535 to be finished. When I received my 535, I sold the warrior. Hind-sight is 20/20, I probably would have preferred the warrior (or both!). The warrior's body shape, scale length, and overall feel was excellent. The B was awesome, better than my MTD. Now don't get me wrong, the MTD is great :)
  17. Thanks for the info. I'd love to see that pic. The problems really aren't so bad because I really don't play in the part of the fretboard that has the issue. It's way up high on the fretboard and since it's already a 9-string, I have plenty of range without going up above the 19th fret. I have no complaints. I knew what the problems were before I bought it and had ample time to check it out. I will likely keep this bass forever.

Yeah, I know Jauqo from here and e-mail. He answered an ad my old drummer in Chicago posted a while back. My drummer asked me about him and when I told him what I knew, the drummer was too intimidated by his creds to call him back. :p

I saw Jauqo's Warrior 8 on eBay a while ago. I considered bidding on it. But then I realized that I didn't have any money. ;)

- Dave
  18. looks like you're giving JT a run for his money
  19. That's the plan! :D

- Dave
  20. i have a feeling Bill Conklin will be getting a phone call very soon from JT to make him a 9 string.