Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warrior basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brian Gordon, Dec 15, 2000.

1. Hey there bassheads,

Anyone here have a Warrior?

I'd love to have one. They're just so damn expensive. That's the bass I'd get if I were a millionaire - one custom built just for me.

I tried one once. I was hanging out with the guys from Division and the bass player was there and we traded basses for a few. I let him play my Zon and he let me play his Warrior. Now, the Zon is very nice, but when I played that Warrior, I just about ****. That thing was SO nice! It played effortlessly and had tone and sustain... it was just a _great_ bass. I've wanted one ever since.

So, if you've got any info/experience/comments to share on them, let's hear it.

2. Yeah I have one.... I keep it in the trunk of my McLaren F1 that I bought for $850,00, right next to the naked pictures of my super-model wife and her super-model friends......end of dream 389.5467

all kidding aside I would really love to own one, but I can't justify the price...I was considering buying an exotic bass and I found that Jerzy Drozd has some incredible pieces, but the Warrior I like is close to $35,000........ The JD is about$5,500.......

......if you groove it, they will come.......

3. Warriors don't need to cost that much. JD is a wonderful guy, and I was able to buy a beautiful Warrior Standard Plus for $1500!!! It was a fantastically beautiful bass, but I didn't like the electronics. At that time they were using Seymour Duncan Basslines. I've heard that pre-amp in other basses and did like it, but it didn't have enough slice with the mahogany. The bass was VERY warm.

Just call him and see what he can do. Their new Bart stuff is much better.

--Len

4. Brook

Brook

Sep 24, 2000
    I've never played a warrior but the pictures I've seen of them are sweet! I saw a sweet one with a nice inlay in the fretboard.

5. I realize that they can be less, however I am the kind of person that likes extreme, and the Warrior that I wanted is in the Arch Angel Gallery and was super expensive....I will take your advice and check it out again, because I was just looking at retail prices...... thanks

.......if you groove it,they will come.........

6. Why would the religious beliefs of the builder turn you on or off to buying a particular bass? If the bass is incredible, it's incredible. I personally now own an MTD, and I love it, but Michael's beliefs vs JD's beliefs had no bearing on whether or not I buy the bass. On the other hand, if I agreed with their beliefs, and thought the bass was crap, I'd never purchase it.

Now, if there are crosses and all sorts of imagery on the bass itself that you don't like, I can understand that.

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    There might be a little confusion goin' on :confused: .
    I think the Warrior luthier is heavily into Arthurian legend,
    not bible-thumpin'. That'd make him what?...Druid?, Wicca? :D

8. JD is a Christian. The Arthurian legend stuff is just a series of bass and guitar inlays that he decided to do. They are mucho expensive, mostly because they are more museum type pieces than basses or guitars one would get beer spilled on at your local tavern.

He's a great luthier and a wonderful guy. He's very easy to work with.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    BS? That's swinging pretty hard in the other direction, isn't it. I guess, if it makes you feel better to refer to it as such, go for it.

10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I think KONG may have been referring to Christian things on the basses. I don't know much about Warriors, but the ones I have seen have all had inlays and whatnot of Christian things. That may have just been coincidince though.

11. Some of them do have Christian themes on the inlays, and the showpieces have the Arthur stuff. That is all optional (and extremely expensive). The standard inlay is a small sword at the 12th fret. It's pretty cool looking up close, but most folks won't even be able to see it from a distance.

12. Not to get off on a tangent, but was not this post simply a request by one of our fellow members, asking for info on Warrior basses? If you must argue religion go see the church lady....... These basses rock....and the work is something you would see in a museum.......That's like saying you have no respect for DaVinci because he painted that little thing on the ceiling of some chapel...

13. Christos, that was my point. The basses are amazing, no matter what the guy's background is. Now, if someone were funding some prostitution ring or drug ring with the profits of his bass sales, I probably wouldn't buy from him, but a person's religious beliefs in general don't hold sway whether I buy a bass from him or not.

Like I said before, I love Warrior basses. I owned one. The only reason I don't still own it is that the combination of woods and electronics just weren't agressive enough for what I played. Had I chosen other combinations, I would probably have it today, and would not have gone through multiple basses like I did.

The guy who I sold the bass to in Australia just loves it to death. It was perfect for him, and I'm glad it found a good home. I currently have an MTD 535. It's wonderful. I don't know that I'd ever get rid of it for another. Most likely not...

14. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Warrior basses do look fantastic.. except for the inlays. I have no opposition to their posible relation to religeon I just think they are arse ugly.

15. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

hey, whats wrong with the inlays on Warriors? I for one think they are cool and the Knights of the Round Table series is beautiful too.
    too bad I don't have the dough to buy one of these and could never justify 10,000 bucks for a bass even if it has a "beyond your wildest dreams tone" and gem stone inlays.

16. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    To me those huge elaborate inlays make the bass something I would want to hang on my wall... not play.

17. I personally can't stand religion in any form, but I can tell you from having played several Warrior basses that I don't care what J.D. Lewis believes in, he makes an incredible instrument! And Lenmonster is right, you can get a standard, solid color painted Warrior for around $1500. (I think it's a shame to cover up the wood they use, though.) Warrior also has what they call the "build-to-buy" program. You put down $500 for them to start building your bass, and every time you pay another part of the balance, they do more work on it. Once you are done paying, the bass is done! Could be an option if you don't have all the money right now. I inquired about this.. my dream Warrior 4-string was gonna cost $2600. I almost gave them a deposit but I figured out that it would take me about two years to pay the balance and decided the waiting would kill me!

18. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    Sword, Archangel...

The last time an inlay turn me on was went I saw a bird's-eye-maple position marker in a rosewood fingerboard for the first time.

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i liked the few warriors that i've played - jd let me play the 7 string david and golliath bass at a namm show one time - they were very well made and used excellent woods.

my only probs with them was the body style and the finish on the back of the neck - too glossy/sticky for my taste. i also didn't much like the bridges he was using - i like the ABM bridges - very massive.

still, though, warrior is making some good instruments.