Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warrior Instruments

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WintryGrey, May 1, 2001.

1. WintryGrey

WintryGrey

Sep 12, 2000
    does anybody here use a warrior basses?
    they look nice and stuff but how do they sound?
    are they worth the price???

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I played a nice Warrior 5 that belongs to a friend one evening not long ago. He was gigging across the street and we decided to swap basses for a couple of sets...he took my Lakland, and I played the Warrior. I can only speak for my own situation, but in my 3-piece blues rock gig, the Warrior just didn't cut it. Suffered from the same shortcomings that lots of super hi-end neck-through axes have...sounds great alone, but put it into a thick mix and it just doesn't cut through. Very compressed-sounding no matter how you eq it.. Beautiful instrument, but not for me.

3. JMo

JMo

Apr 27, 2001
    Greenville SC
    The deal with a Warrior is that you really need to talk to them about what you want from a bass and they will build it. I was able to visit their shop about a month ago. JD is extremely knowledgeable and helpful in choosing the right woods and electronics. Warriors are NOT cookie cutter instruments. Each one has it's own individual sound which may or may not suit your particular needs. Their strong suit is in building a bass for YOU. Mine has Bartolini electronics and pickups and a very PHAT sound. Since I play a lot of "urban" music,that's what I needed...that's what I got. And yes, it's a beautiful instrument.

4. check out Gregory Bruce Campbell with Kickstart Chubby: he plays a Warrior 9-string! it's a gorgeous instrument.

http://www.kickstartchubby.com

you can also see pics of his axe on the Warrior website, under the endorsers' section.

5. :D I made the best discovery I could have ever made in my whole life this weekend. After looking through my Bass Player magazine I saw an ad for Warrior Instruments. They have a shop in Atlanta, GA. And Atlanta's only about an hour from where I live. I highly recommend everyone to visit Warrior Instruments.com. Check out the gallery and everything else. They will be the next revolutionary bass. I bet anyone. The best bass I've ever heard. You'll think that they look good. Then you'll hear one and you'll get your pants wet.:D :D :D Thank god for the Warrior Bass.

6. I like their 9 strings.

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Well, mebusdriver, I'll not take your bet.
    But they will not be the next revolution, because they have been around for ages, and there is nothing really new to their instruments.

They are terrific , though!
    Warrior people put a lot of themselves into making these glorious items. That is why they look and sound so great. And cost so great...

You guys around GA/SC/NC are so lucky, to have so many top edge luthiers lurkin' in the bushes! Whereof Warrior is one of the real tops!

8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I've played several Warriors and can't say I liked them that much. The tone was OK but the construction was not that great. On several basses I saw bad fret work and on all the basses I saw bad finishes. I don't think they will be the next big thing as they have been around already for awhile and haven't busted through.

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am having a custom Warrior Signiture 6 string made for me right now. It should be ready around the 1st week of March. I decided to choose Warrior as my next bass, because of the reputation they have built, and the quality of the product. I love the finish used on Warriors. It is hand rubbed oil which allows the wood to breath giving the bass an incredibly natural tone. I spoke to JD(owner) personally, and I have never experienced service like that before. They are the nicest most helpful people to deal with.

The buy to build program allows you to have a bass custom made for you, with your selection of woods, electronics, hardware etc. All you do is put down a deposit($500), and the building starts. There is no deadline to pay off the bass! It progresses as you do. That's awesome!

I'll tell you how I do!

10. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I've had nothing but bad luck with the warrior customer service. I called to inquire about custom building a bass but they kept trying to push me to buy one of the basses that was already made. Then I asked them about the specifics of a used bass I had found on the net. I sent them the serial number and three pictures. They came back with all the wrong infomation. My guess is that they won't be there for you in the long run. I spoke to the owner and his assistants. They treated me badly.

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I merged the two current "Warrior" threads.

Just doing a little housecleaning.;)

12. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have had nothing but great service from everyone at Warrior. The owner JD is most helpful, and guided me through the building process. I find it hard to believe you could have bad service from them. Just ask them about their "Buy to Build" program. JD will help you with the details. Buy to build is a way of making their instruments available to everyone by building at your pace. You put $500 down, and you pay as you can afford it. No interest, and no pressure. You choose the wood, hardware, pickups and electronics. I am completely impressed by them.:D

Oh ya...I should be writing up a review in a few days!!:D

13. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    i dont like their spalted maple tops. they are only thin laminates that dont effect tone...

14. And all of you will be able to talk to a Warrior Rep at the Atlanta TalkBass Get-together on Saturday, May 11. Ty from the Atlanta gallery has committed to being here and bringing a few "friends" with him!

:rubs hands together gleefully:

15. See, Matt Schmill does that too, but he has a better selection of wood and much, much better prices. I'm pretty sure a lot of other small luthiers do that, too.

16. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    *cough* dave pushic *cough*

hey, there should be a texas talk bass get togather :p

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Please, someone buy this one at bassalone.com (I am in no way affiliated with that site, I'm just drooling over the bass):

[​IMG]

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member