Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warrior Opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattm70, Mar 16, 2006.

1. mattm70

mattm70

Mar 16, 2006
    State College, PA
    I'd like to get opinions on Warrior basses. They're beautiful, but how dow they play? Hoping to move up in the next several months, wanted to get opinions before I get in too deep.

2. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I've owned three over the years. One had some construction issues, but nothing major. The other two were perfect in every way. I'm still angry I let one of them go, it was their soldier plus model at the time, mahogany body, maple/purpleheart bolt-on neck, and batroli MM/J pickups (MM closer to the neck, J at the bridge). That was one slamming bass, just awesome. Loved the B string.

Only reason I really haven't looked into getting another one is the price. Those things are pretty darn expensive. Not that I'm putting them down or anything, just my opinion.

3. mattm70

mattm70

Mar 16, 2006
    State College, PA
    Thanks for the response, Sean. I know they're pricy, but are they worth the money? Anyone else?

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've REALLY tried to like these, but I can't. They even gave me one on loan to play at a gig I had in LA, and after 2 songs, I changed basses. It was one their $3k models. There was nothing wrong with the bass, it just wasn't for me. There was a 4 banger with a Basslines system that I fancied and I played one of Adam's basses that I liked, but other than that, they didn't do it for me. Plus, I not a fan of purpleheart or Barts. As for their worth, it's up to you. I'm sure they're fine basses. PLEASE do not let my post influence you, if it works for you, go for it. Lord knows my 2 favorite basses gets slammed here often, and I still love 'em!

5. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Matt,
    I own two Warriors. They are incredibly well build and sound great. To my eye, I think they are perhaps the most beautiful body design in the boutique market. That's purely opinion of coarse. I think they are fairly priced. The necks are very flat. To me they are easy to play as I have small hands. They vary in the way they sound largely due to the type of woods used. I have a 5 with a Mahogony body and purple heart fret board, and a sig 6 with swamp ash body and maple board. They sound very different. Both great.
    Mine are both neck thru but I have played many bolt on's really no difference in playablity or sustain. More money for neck thru.

There is a Signature 5 for sale in the classified. I think you can get it for less than $1500. (he's asking 1500 Shipped) I would steal that bad boy in a heart beat.

One word about boutique basses, most (yeah I said most) do not hold their value on resale. If you can find one used, you will pay about the same as a new MIA Jazz bass or Music Man. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. Buy from someone who will give you an evaluation period and use paypal or credit card so you have recoarse. I would think paying $1500 for a hand made bass that had less than a years worth of play time is the way to go as opposed to $3500-$7000 new. IMO

6. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    If you like them, then yes, they are worth the money. The expensive one I had w/ quilt top was a NAMM show bass a bunch of years back, so I got a killer deal on it. The other two were standards, and much more affordable. I wasn't a huge fan of the ones with basslines systems, but the barts were fine. The barts weren't the soaps, they were that X5 (long skinny pickup) and a MM.

I think the sound samples on their site are pretty accurate as to the tones you can get with their "standard" configuration.

I'm diggin' 34" scale again, so I wish I could try one out.

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    HAve played a grand total of two in my life. An Isabella 5 string at NAMM one year which looked and played great but had no personality sound-wise. I was sorely disappointed in that one. The second was a used one with a single Bartolini MM style pup at a shop in Chattanooga. That bass was awesome!! Had I the money then I would have bought it...

Guess I need to try one more to break the tie...

:bassist:

8. I actually just picked up a new Warrior about a week before Christmas. I got rid of all my other basses (OK, I kept an American Standard Jazz) when I got the Warrior. It is incredible. Lowest action of any bass I have ever played. I can't say enough about it. The tone is great. It is a mahogany/purpleheart/mahogany neck through with a beautiful birds eye fretboard. It has swamp ash wings with a teal finish.

Here are some pictures:
    http://www.talawanda.net/StaffWeb/rhotonc/classroom/page4/page1/page1.html

Here are some sound clips. Almost all of the clips are recorded with the pickups (MM in the sweet spot/Skinny J at the bridge) centered and the EQ flat (well, about a 10% boost on the mid). You can tell when I roll back to the bridge a little more and boost the mid in the one clip. The clip in the band setting is all centered and flat! Don't take these too seriously. They are all just messing around. Any clipping you hear is me not knowing how to get rid of it in GarageBand.

http://www.talawanda.net/StaffWeb/rhotonc/classroom/page3/assets/Silly%20Monkey,%20Sad%20Monkey,%20Bad%20Monkey.mp3

http://www.talawanda.net/StaffWeb/rhotonc/classroom/page3/assets/Warrior.m4a

http://www.talawanda.net/StaffWeb/rhotonc/classroom/page3/assets/New%20Warrior.m4a

Bottom Line. I love it. I'll have it forever.

9. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I played one of their Signature 5 strings...neck thru. It was GORGEOUS. It was also $4000!!! I almost cried. It played beautifully. Incredible neck. I wasn't crazy about the sound, and I attribute that to me not fiddling with the preamp enough. Bart pups and pre, and it was "dark" sounding. Played it through a Mesa combo. Also played one of their Soldiers with BassLines MM and didn't much care for it soundwise either (and I play a 'Ray). Kind of a running theme with my Warrior experience, YMMV. If I had one made I would certainly pick out the electronics. But fit and finish wise, both were fantastic, both played and balanced well. I prefer the Signature shape...more comfortable.

10. I should mention that mine is a Signature 4 Neck Through, and I didn't pay anywhere near $4000 brand new. If you want a good deal on a Warrior, call Rusty at Midwest Music in Cincinnati (http://www.midwestmusicproaudio.com/) at (513)631-8318. He is a Warrior Gallery. Tell him Chris Rhoton sent you, and he will give you a good deal (on anything)!!! Hey, I'm 6'5" 315 pounds, it has its advantages!!:D :D :D

I'm pretty sure he has some 5's in stock.

Rusty is the reason I got mine. He had a huge collection of incredible instruments. He got rid of them and got a custom Warrior 5, and it is incredible. All of the ones he has had in his shop are top notch.

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I've played a few, and none of them ever spoke to me really. Their sound just wasnt for me, and to me, they were not all that comfortable. They were all well made, didnt have any issues per say, just wasnt a good fit for me. The neck felt a bit odd, maybe the profile, not sure. And the sound just didnt grab me. It just didnt have anything distinctive about it that set it apart from anything else, except the looks. If at all possible, get a return policy so if it doesnt turn out to be all your wanted, your not stuck. Resale value is not great at all, and you could easily lose 1k on a 3k bass reselling it. They do work well for the people that like them usually, but if it isnt for me, maybe it isnt for you either. Just make sure you can try it out a while.

12. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I have had 4. I currently have 2 and they are building one for me right now...I have not played anything else and don't really plan to. They are great for what they are and can get a variety of sounds if you dink....I would go for it....if you can, go visit and play what they have there or go to a guitar show where they are and try them out....

13. mattm70

mattm70

Mar 16, 2006
    State College, PA
    Thanks all for the advice. I may end up with a warrior in my hands in the next few months. crhoton, thanks for the contact. He'll be worth talking to at the very least.

14. That bass sounds great! Everyone should have an instrument they feel that way about.

15. Rusty is a top notch guy, and a heck of a player. Zero ego. Best deals on equipment I have ever seen.

16. Thanks. I played a lot of instruments, and there were some I liked as much as the Warrior, but they were more expensive. I think that probably gives you an idea of the brands.