Warrior owners, help needed with neck relief

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lsimy, Nov 17, 2004.

1. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I've recently recieved a Warrior 5 (ebony board, standard mahog/purplehrt/mahog neck).

The issue I'm having is that I get it to play best with a bit of relief in the neck and lower bridge saddle heights. When I set it that way, the trussrod rattles in the neck.

I spoke with JD at Warrior and he said they design the necks to be set straight as an arrow and that I would have to compensate with higher bridge saddle heights.

What's up with this ?? Now, I have this totally straight neck to keep the truss from rattling and higher action especially passed the 12th fret.

When I had a little relief in it and lower action, it played beautifully. Could I perhaps leave it that way or would I ultimately screw something up permanently ??

Thanks for your help folks. A little frustrated here. :mad:

2. Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    Ask for your money back. I'm getting a bit frustrated with these non-answers from JD. I have a major love/hate relationship with my Warrior bass...It plays like a dream, but has construction flaws that I have no idea how things will be affected long term.

When they send you a bass that has construction problems (especially structural ones), I believe there is little that can be done to really make the problem go away. At best, Warrior "repairs" tend to gerry-rig a fix. For example, my bolt on neck tongue was too shallow, leaving a portion of the body cavity where the neck meets the body exposed. I asked them to simply finish the exposed wood with clearcoat or something, but how did they fix it? They raised the neck tongue by literally increasing the gap where the neck meets the body, so there is now a gap in the neck pocket almost a CD thickness on the treble side of the bass.

I personally like a straight neck, but it seems way out of bounds for them to ask you to live with a rattling truss rod in order to have the bass play as you want. Make them take it back if you're not happy.
  3. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Wasabi, thanks. Man, I thought I was feeling like the only one here.

At the end of the fretboard where the trussrod adjustment is, there is a ton of glue residual there. I think I might have a high fret as well.

I'm going to call and speak again directly to JD. Even my Modulus (pre truss) has a slight preset relief. I'm too used to it to go to a straight neck with compensated action.

Ugh, this has been a HUGE pain !!!! Ok, 2nd time back !!