Warrior three way toggle...annointed in madness

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by echo008, May 12, 2004.

1. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hello, Im sorry for the rant about to follow but maybe some Warrior players here can give me a clue!!!
    I recently aquired a Warrior Armed Soldier 4 string, Trans "MoJo" purple, mahogany/purpleheart neck w/ purpleheart fingerboard,
    Single Bartolini fatboy with three band EQ and Mid switch...But heres the thing,
    there is a second larger three way switch on this bad boy, that does not seem to do anything!!! I was hoping to get a little help on this matter here... there does seem to be gain controls in the cavity which I havent touched. but after emailing warrior and seeing there response I must say that I am thoroughly confused and amused!!!. again Im sorry for such a long post but please bear with it

here is Warriors response after inquiring about the second three way toggle:
    Thank you for joining the warrior family. This is a foreign switch. The three way is 250/500/800 mid switch. The other mini toggle, who knows? Thank you,"

***... "who knows" LOL ....theres something I wasint expecting from the actual company that made my bass, but like I said its kinda funny in a very strange way.
    Anyway, if anyone here has some idea or a similiar configuration on there bass any help would be appreciated.
    BTW... I love the bass, it truly is a gem, the fingerboard is the best I have ever felt, low action, no buzz, flat (but not wide) neck is very comfortable, after playing many a highend bass maybe could it be that I've finally found one Ill hold onto.
    thanks for reading this
    - Tom
  2. Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    From the sounds of it Warrior is telling you that the other toggle was installed by a previous owner and not by them. If you bought this bass new then I'd be confused, otherwise I would take it to a tech and have them trace the wiring to see what is up. My instinct would be that it is a coil tap for the Bartolini if that is possible with that model.
  3. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    all an extra switch i could think of would be an active passive, a pre set tone switch, or a coil tap switch
  4. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Hi Tom,
    That particular bass used to be mine. The first switch controls the pickup coils. The second switch is supposed to be the 3 way switch.
    When I first got the bass from them at NAMM this year, it was wired up with SD Basslines PU and pre...the worst system I've ever heard. Absolutely razor thin sound, mids centered WAAAAYYY too high, etc. I could NOT get a musical tone out of the setup. I played a church gig with it when I first got it, and I had to dial the treble ALL the way off, and I still got a thin, clacky sound (and no, it wasn't a battery issue). I emailed them, and told them I wanted to swap the SD system for a Bart system. They said "Okay, no problem". About 2 weeks later, I got a new Bart MM PU, which was fine; however, what they sent me for a preamp was a laughable mess!
    They had ripped (literally!) a preamp out of one of their other basses, and what I got was a jumble (read rat's nest) of wires which had almost no leads left, a poorly soldered switch which did NOTHING when wired up, and no schmatic. Gotta love "Warrior Care"... :rolleyes:
    Carey Nordstrand wired it up the best he could with no schematic, added leads to some of the wires, and tidied up the control cavity...(BTW, did you see the "excellent routing job for the control cavity? :meh: ). We couldn't get the mid section of the preamp to work. I finally gave up and sold the bass. Carey is excellent at understanding and installing electronics, and we were both rather befuddled at this preamp they sent. It's supposed to be a "custom" preamp from Bartolini, but I think it's just a standard Bart system that was never wired correctly to begin with. Unless you have a schematic for Bart preamps, it's a crapshoot trying to figure out which wire goes where (much like the Aggie 3 band system...a ton of options, and with no schematic, it's a mystery...) There's a flywheel in the cavity that does NOTHING....if you can figure it out, give me a call, since I spent a good 2 hours with Carey trying to get it to work...
    My suggestion? Call anyone who can sell you a Bart preamp prewired (like Jack Read), and invest 150 bucks in a decent preamp wired correctly, and you'll probably be very happy.
    You're right about the fretwork...it's very good. Very low action. I couldn't personally get used to the P Bass nut width and wafer thin neck profile, but if you like it, great! I had Carey put a new brass nut instead of the bone one, and with better spacing than what I got the bass with.
    If you can get the preamp happening, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I just think it's a diamond in the rough.
    BTW, when I got it, it had SEVERAL dings and digs into the back of the neck (and it was a "new" bass directly from Warrior). I used some Ken Smith polish and sanded it in with some wet 600 grit sandpaper, and it pulled them right out...if you get some more dings, try that, and it works like a charm!
    I know some people are incredibly happy with their Warriors...I wasn't one of them. It just had too many issues as a brand new bass for me to have been satisfied long term.
    Good luck!
  5. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Wow, thanks alot jacochops for the info..... yes the cavity compartment is less than what i would consider neat!!!, and now I know why. while I am completely digging some of the tones im getting out of it I did expect more. The only thing really making me hold onto it is the overall quality of the bass, I really love the way it plays!!! the neck is such a great fit for me.... I will definitely look into investing a little bit more money into it to make it right again.
    As for Warrior... Ill just say I will not be wasting my time contacting them again, they make a great bass but.....well you know.
    its good to hear the bass came from someone who obviosly cared enough about it to try toi make it right.
    again thanks for the info, you just completely saved me from wasting anymore time wondering what was happening with it.
    - Tom
  6. scf4003

May 2, 2004
    I was wondering why my Warrior never seemed to sound like what I thought it should, now I know. It has always lacked any definite midrange or punch, just a bunch of mud and high end, not very musical, even a front end EQ doesn't help because there seems to be some frequencies missing from the bass to begin with. I think I'll change my preamp too.
  7. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Speaking of changing pre amps, Im seriously considering trying an Aggie OBP-3 w/mid switch and adding the active/passive option as well. Im thinking it will lighten the tone a bit as oppsed to a darker bartolini tone.
    - Tom