Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warrior vs. Stambaugh - please help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bubingaboy, Oct 18, 2004.

1. bubingaboy

bubingaboy

Oct 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Hey everybody,

Please help me. I own a Warrior Signature 5 string neck-thru bass and I'm looking to add another bass to my collection to incorporate the RMC-Midi/piezo bridge to use with my Roland V-Bass system.

Can anybody out there give me a thorough comparison of the Warrior Signature vs. the Stambaugh Designs bass for the purposes noted above? (I LOVE everything about my Warrior except they tend to be a bit pricey). Thanks!!!

- Bubingaboy

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Chris is a great guy to work with. He is about 45ish minutes away from me, so I got to support the semi-local cats :cool: .

3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Seconded - I never got to go thru with my Stambaugh order, but Chris is top-notch to work with, and talk to. I've heard of build quality issues with Warrior as well, but I dont know any details.

Also, if you want RMC, you may want to think Conklin...

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I got to kick a few Warrior tires at the summer NAMM and really wasn't too impressed... I'm having Chris build a bass for me right now.. Can't wait until it's finished...

:hyper:

5. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    As a Warrior owner, I will basically say these things:

The build quality is very inconsistent. Getting a "buy to build" bass is a risk, because you just don't know. I suppose you could return it if the build quality wasn't to your standards. That said, some are amazing, you just can't count on it that YOURS will be amazing.

For me, I picked up about 10 Warriors, and wasn't impressed with any of them, but a couple of them, especially the one I got, really suited me as far as sound an playability. So it's really a hot or cold type thing...

If you do go with Warrior, talk to somebody at the company first to make sure you have recourse if the bass isn't what you expected or wanted in terms of construction, sound, or whatever.

6. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    Another plug for Chris Stambaugh. I've had the pleasure of playing his creations (thanks to Dan at LAG) and his stuff is CONSISTENTLY top drawer and his prices are reasonable because he's not quite famous yet.

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I've never played a Stambaugh- would like to someday.
    I am very surprised at the warrior c omments- maybe I have just lucked out and gotten to play a batch of really top-notch warriors ($2,500-$5,000 price range), but I've always been very impressed with warrior quality. The 7 stringer I played in the spring was absolutely amazing and very comfortable.

8. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
    I have had a Warrior and a Stambaugh. Both are great basses. The Stambaugh felt much more "Hand Crafted" to me while the Warrior felt and sounded a bit more sterile.
    Chris builds basses on parr with the top names for a FRACTION of the price!
    Ricky

9. My ucnle says that Warrior basses are crap. And I believe him too. He's been playing bass for eover 7 years now. So he knows what he's talkin about

10. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
  11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Wasabi1264 et al.,

I'll second the inconsistancies that many cats find in Warriors. I have played somewhere near 18-20 Warriors (all shapes and sizes), some are great some just look great... They are very beautiful and are great collectors-pieces, but not all of them are gems. You really need to pick one up that you have tried and run thru the paces. IMO, I would not order a "buy to build", it is too risky with them... Sorry JD, just honest opinions here.

I own a great Blue bolt-on Soldier 5 that I picked up used for nearly a 1/3 of what is was new... the store that I picked it up from couldn't even get anyone to play/try it.... I somehow had patience and I got the bass to be a great work-horse (fixed the neck pocket, changed pre-amp, leveled frets...)and it doesn't fit the 'jewelry-paradigm' many have seen on TB or their site, but it is NOW a great instrument! .... But my personal experience is rare.

A g'tarist/bassist friend of mine (Mac Ritchey, from NH) that I used to play with while living in the NE US, turned me on to Stammy's. Unfortunately I have only played 3 of them, but all of them were very hip, well constructed and all of them are still own by their original owners IIRC... :eyebrow:

... that has got to mean something.