Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warrior

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Walbassman, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I know this has probably been covered but I am thinking about adding one of these to the otherwise all Rickenbacker pile and would like to see all of your basses (add your thoughts too)...I realize from past commentaries that some people have indicated that the resale is not great but that is not one of the reasons that I am pondering this. I had an old Warrior bolt on(called a standard at the time) and did not care much for it but I went to a guitar show here in Nashville over the weekend and played a couple of the new ones--including the 15 string!!--and was quite bowled over by the bump up in quality.

Bring it on boys and girls!!!!!! :help: :D

2. I know the owner of Warrior. I also am good freinds with his son. He told me he'll give me a deal on a warrior :smug:

3. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I have one. I had issues with it the first time around. The neck had some problems with the trussrod and I also received options I did not ask for. They straightened everything out. JD over there bent over backwards for me. I think their customer service over the last 6 months has really improved.

JD is working on a new white studio style lefty 5'er for me which should be done in a few months.

As for resale I can't say since I have not tried to sell one yet. I think nowadays, they are more worth it. I'm looking forward to my next one. :hyper:

4. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I am interested in getting one perhaps but I am not sure about options at this point. Any of the rest of you have anything to add or pix to post?

5. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I currently own 2 Warriors and have a third on the way. These are some seriously nice basses. On par with the best boutique bass builders out there. I think they are quite reasonably price considering what you are getting. Compare these basses to a Fodera and I think you'll argee they are an excellent value. This is the deal; call up Mark Lewis and talk to him. He will send you a bass to try out. If you are digging the bass you can buy one he has in stock or build your own from scratch. If you do that be patient. They take several months to build. Tons of wood choices. Check out their web site for the sonic differences in wood. They have an extensive MP3 sample library to hear the differences wood and bolt on vs neck thru etc. They generally put bartolinis in their basses but he will put in Duncans or anything else you prefer. Great guys to deal with. Your satisfation is really important to them. Good luck.
    You can see my Signature 6 here http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/364/sort/7/cat/13/page/4

6. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    If you want a Warrior, there are some amazing ones. But here would be my two pieces of advice:

1. Don't buy one if you ever plan to resell it. The resale values are horrible. The buyer of a used one will get a great deal, and the buyer of a new one will lose his shirt.

2. I would only buy one already built, with a thorough examination. For me, their QC has not really improved, but maybe it has since all of my complaints. In the year I owned mine, it was sent back four times, and once for over a month. I finally sold it, after I was sure the stuff was resolved, so I wouldn't be ripping off the new owner. The new owner got a great deal, but I was tired of dealing with it. I am in the position of people paying attention to what basses I play, and making decisions based on it. Because of that, I was unwilling to own a Warrior anymore, because I just have a serious problem with their QC.

With all that said, some Warrior sound amazing, and have thie sickest low action you can find. Also, you need to like narrow spacing, because it is very narrow, and the necks are pretty flat.

7. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Wasabi is not wrong. There have been QC issues in the past. I believe in that past 12 to 18 months that has been largely addressed. They instituted a rigorous QC policy and I think that has corrected the situation. Regardless they will do whatever it takes to make the bass perfect should there be any issue.
    Resale is an issue. If you want to get an idea of what you are in for re: resale, check out what they are going for on ebay.
    For me, I don't really care because when I find a bass I love, I hold on to it but some people it a legit concern.

8. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I currently have 5 Rics and resale has never been an issue. I am not looking at that as a factor for getting another Warrior. the first one I had was not nearly as good as the ones I played at the show last weekend.

9. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Get in the car and drive to Rossville GA, just across the line from Chattanooga, TN. You can check out a load of basses. You'll find one you love I'm pretty sure of that.

10. droopman likes this.
  11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Warrior basses are very visually appealing. However, I never will buy one new or used. I can think of many other basses that I would rather purchase.

12. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I understand....I don't think they are for everyone just as Ric basses are not for everyone. I have the same religious bent as they do so that plays into my thoughts for a bass. That is wat helps me a ton...I did not want to have an opinion based on the fact that the one that I HAD was not great-it was a 97-and the action on the new ones is so low that I can play it one handed...that was COOL!!

droopman likes this.
  13. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Warrior is a bit of a touchy/controversial bass around here, haha. It seems that most of us have either had awesome experiences or very negative experiences with them. I for one have not played a warrior yet that did not thoroughly impress me. I would give it the thumbs up based on what I have played at shops, but I have never tried to order one.

14. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Is the controversy based on the instrument or the religion attached to the instrument? just curious...

15. Well, I have heard a rumor that they changed the specs on a custom bass they were making for someone and then told them that a higher power told them to do it. How do you argue with that?!?! :D

- Dave

16. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I really hope that story is true. It's just too delicious. If anyone can confirm that I would love to hear about it. Most of all, I really want to know what specs the Lawd prefers in a custom instrument.

17. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    That is hilarious Wilbyman.... I can't confirm or deny but I want to know not only the specs the Lawd prefers but how does he feel about bass solos? Jah Mon

18. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    An early-90's Christian band named Jet Circus wrote a song with the line, "God LOVES bass guitar!" Does that count?

19. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I don't argue with it. They are in tune with THE higher authority and I could go with that if I understood it (which I do) and so let's get back to the basses not the religious discussions unless you want me to go there.

20. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I have that CD and they are cool to listen to especially since HE was playing a Rickenbacker!!!The record is called 'Step on it'....got it...