Warwick 2 piece bridge questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by iplaybass, May 20, 2003.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I think this belongs in setup, if not, please move it to wherever is appropriate. Anyways, I replaced the strings for the first time on my new FNA Jazzman, and I found the new strings sounded very thin. So I went to a few music stores and asked around about some fatter strings, and one of the guys told me to bring the bass in from my car. So I did, and he immediately told me that I needed taper core strings for the 2 piece bridge. Well, that made sense to me, but he also said that the best idea would be to machine out the saddles so that regular strings would work on the bass. Is this a good idea? Has anyone else done this to their 2 piece bridge? He said it would run me around $60, plus the money for a setup. Once I did this he said, I could slap any kind of string on it and it would be fine. I'm confused now, to say the least. Help???
  2. Jon Maghini

Jon Maghini Commercial User

Aug 15, 2002
    USA Terryville CT.
    Owner / Builder M Basses
    I have had to machine the slots in the Warwick
    Tailpiece to allow for heavy gauge strings to fit, along with the slots in the saddles ...
    $60 doesn't sound like alot of money if the work is done properly by a pro...