Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick 4 string....any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by let_your_soulfly, Jul 9, 2001.

1. let_your_soulfly

let_your_soulfly

Jul 28, 2000
    Toronto
    hey!
    well i need a new bass. i have a 5 string ibanez right now, and i feel like going back to a 4. i really like the sounds of warwick basses and I'm interested in buying one. but the reason im asking you guys is that the music stores around my area, don't usually carry warwick, but they can order them. the salesperson said that i can order any type of bass from warwick but i don't have to buy it when it comes in. sooooo, im wondering what type of warwick 4's should i order. i was thinking along the lines of the streamer series 1, or thumb. but i do not know the differences in sound, and im hoping you great bassists do. im looking for a good overall sound and i play music that includes styles like incubus, 311, tool, and a little jazz. thank you deeply for all that respond!

Peace,
    Ed

2. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Go for the Thump.......but Streamers are fat too

3. let_your_soulfly

let_your_soulfly

Jul 28, 2000
    Toronto
    hey, ummm another question. could you guys tell me the price range of these bases too. thanks a lot for the responce. im tied between those two models.

Peace,
    Ed

4. www.music123.com I think they carry all the warwick basses and you can get the prices there

5. dolphin! hehehe

6. if you were willing to spend mass amounts of money i definately second the dolphin(as i drool) umm, streamer stage I's would probably work quite well for you if you can afford it. i personnaly am very interested in a corvette fna jazzman myself. but all warwicks i've played have been nice, the corvette(and more the dolphin though) series has always appealed to me more for looks and i've liked their feel. nothin beats a warwick neck IMO, that wood is just wonderful. anyway as a finishing point, you can't really go wrong with a good warwick(to me at least) but thumbs aren't the most comfortable to wear and such cause of the body, so keep that in mind, though i've always heard the tone is killer. all in all the safer bet would be the streamer over a thumb.

7. ArtFS

ArtFS

Jul 3, 2001
    Virginia
    The Streamer Stage II's also have that oh so comfy curved body. and IMO they are more versatile than the Thumbs. a thumb always sounds distinctly like a thumb whereas the SS II can sound just about any way you want it to. I never played a dolphin, are they really that nice?

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've played most of the current Warwick line, and decided on the Infinity 5. Sucker for F-holes I guess. Before I found that one I was about to get a Streamer Jazzman. I found the Streamers to be a little brighter than the Thumbs, and more ergonomic. I really like the contoured bodies; the Corvettes are nice too, but flat. I like that arch.
    The streamer seemed less neck-heavy than the thumbs. You definitely want to spend some time with a warwick before commiting. No question about the tone; it's awesome- but depending on the model, it can be quite a stretch to first position, some have had wrist trouble which they feel the thumb is responsible for. make sure you have some sort of recourse on the purchase if the bass isn't comfortable for you.

Will you be getting a bolt-on or neck-thru?
    m

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    again - if money's no object - hunt down a pre-1998 dolphin with the rosewood body. <spooge>

definitely go used, you could get a neck thru thumb or streamer or even a dolphin for under 2k. and the new warwicks don't do it for me like the older ones - especially because of the difficulty in getting wenge for neck wood now.

jason

10. let_your_soulfly

let_your_soulfly

Jul 28, 2000
    Toronto
    thanks for the responces guys. im looking at spending around 1,500, hopefully less! no more than 2 thousand. i can't handle that. hopefully i can get it used. are these models (thumb and streamer stage 1) hard to find used?

to xush. this is probably a stupid question but does it matter if i choose bolt-on or neckthru. does each affect the sound in a different way?
    thanks again for the responces

Peace,
    Ed

11. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I've been thinking of getting a Streamer Jazzman too as my seconed bass.

I'm guessing from the quote above that you tried one, is the sound very different than a Streamer LX? because I want that same body style but to cover all the sounds I don't have (and the Jazzman has different woods and pickups for that matter).

12. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    someone can probably describe the whole phenomenon better than I, but it definitely makes a difference (bolt-on vs. neck-thru).
    I used to be a hardcore neck-thru proselyte, but a recent Jazz bass acquisition has shown me the error of my ways.
    Don't get me wrong, I still like neck-thru's; but now I understand the appeal of a bolt. The notes tend to be more distinct, though may have less sustain and overall resonance. It's the 'punch' factor...
    Now I like to have a few of each around...

maybe someone can get into the physics of it all.
    mark

13. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    the streamer jazzman is a great bass. I thought the upper horn made it a little more ergonomic than the thumb. It's one of the most comfortable basses I've worn...
    Tonally it's a monster! Huge variety. The HB is wired for singl/series/parallel and really has a bite to it. Very detailed, articulate. Super slap tones.
    Very flexible EQ too. Midrange control was very musical! I think it has the slap contour feature, you pull the vol knob and it cuts the mids for big bumthwappin sound.
    Neck pickup sounds very fat, deep, round.
    The neck profile is round, kind of deep. It's a good slab o wood, might take a little getting used to if you're accustomed to thin necks...

Overall, I found the Dolphin and the Infinity to have qualities commensurate with their prices. Well, for that matter, I guess all the Warwicks are good investments. Even the Corvettes are nice machines.

$-wise, I don't think you can go wrong with the Streamer Jazzman!

mark

14. let_your_soulfly

let_your_soulfly

Jul 28, 2000
    Toronto
    are warwick basses hard to find used? the streamer jazzman is nice, but i feel it is very expensive(i don't know the price, i just have a feeling). im most likely going with the thumb or streamer stage 1

Peace,
    Ed

15. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I think it was about $1600 US where I test-drove...
    used Streamers and Thumbs show up all over the web, there's probably a few on ebay right now.
    mark

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    ebay has a bunch. there's even a dolphin 5 with a "buy it now" of $1800!!!!

i'd sell my thumb for that in a SECOND.

jason

17. let_your_soulfly

let_your_soulfly

Jul 28, 2000
    Toronto
    yeah i checked out ebay. the dolphin looks nice. there is also a covette fna 4 for $510. is that worth the price? it looks in great condition. is the corvette worse than any other warwick bass? if anyone could check this out and answer these questions, it would be a great favour!

Peace,
    Ed

18. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Well, my guess is that's going to sell for a lot higher, if it even meets the reserve. That'd be a heck of price. There's another for even less right now with no reserve, I think. Very nice Streamer on there too.

Nothing wrong with the Corvette FNA. If you could get it for under a grand, it wouldn't be bad. last one sold for $1025.

Corvette's are fairly bright sounding, not contoured like the streamer body, but they're pretty nice.

do a search of completed warwick auctions and see what stuff is going for... it'll give you some ballpark figures.

19. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    and corvettes have the bubinga body - looks and sounds KILLER.

jason

20. kezekiel

kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    As far as Corvettes go, I found the FNA Jazzman to be a big tonal improvement over the regular FNA. To be fair, though, the FNA Jazzman was a Limited Edition, with a maple fingerboard (seen many of those on a Warwick?) and maple body with a natural darker wood top (not sure what variety it was, but she's a beautie - and she's been sitting around at Guitar Center for over six months now). The addition of the neck pickup really rounded the sound out. I liked it so much better that I would strongly recommend you try both Corvettes before deciding on one. I can't comment on the Corvettes that have the 2 jazz pickups, because I haven't tried them.