1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick 5'ers - anybody use DR Blk. Beauties?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by scowboy, Mar 22, 2009.

1. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    I recently became the proud owner of a Warwick Corvette Double $$ 5'er. Is there anybody out there using non-tapered B strings on their Warwicks?

Specifically anybody using DR Black Beauties? That has been my go to string for a few years now and I'd like to continue but as you probably know they are not the most inexpensive string out there so I'd hate buy a full set and then have the B string not fit.

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Moved to Strings.
    :)

3. Mastema

Mastema

Mar 27, 2006
    I'm pretty sure it won't fit. I use DR Hi-Beams with my 5 string $$ and the B doesn't fit without some modification.

4. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    Did you file the bridge or tweak the string?

5. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring the spinning, shimmery aquasphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Remove the tailpiece and carefully file the B-string slot. Cover the shiny metal with a black Sharpie and forget about the issue for good. Do this carefully and it won't matter to anyone whose thoughts truly matter. Have done this on several Warwicks and it's no big deal. Best!

6. Mastema

Mastema

Mar 27, 2006
    I tweak the string... I have some heavy duty pliers and squeeze the string down by the ball.

I read that tip over at the Warwick forums and my luthier friend recommended it also.

7. Dfinch

Dfinch

Dec 27, 2007
    Portland, OR
    It will work but it will take some modification. I had to pinch the string by the ball to get it through, and file the saddle slightly to get it to seat in the bottom of the groove.