1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick 5str string spacing- how wide?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ceeprm, Apr 11, 2006.

1. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Hi

Im interested in a Warwick 5 string Streamer Jazzman and was wondering how wide the string spacing can go at the bridge- I know it is 16.5mm when the saddles are centered but can you stretch it to 18mm when you widen them? I know you can get wider neck Warwicks but prefer the necks on the normal ones.

Thanks

Phil

2. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    Hi, if you CAN move the saddles to adjust to a 18mm spacing (which personally I doubt, as you will in effect be asking the neck to provide you with extra 6mm of space) you will probally find the G or B string will constantly be falling over the edge of the neck/fret ends, in a fashion similar to my old Musicman Stingray 5 string, which had a very narrow neck, even for a 16.5 spaced bass.

3. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Warwick allows you to get your basses in their "normal" spacing as well as in their "wide neck" version.

Their 5 string spacing is: 16.5 mm
    Their 5 string with wide neck option is: 20 mm

I dont think there is way to increase the string spacing on a normal Warwick... 16.5 mm is all you have to work with. You may be confused as far as the adjustable bridges of Warwicks goes. The adjustable bridge means you can raise or lower it (same goes for the Adjust-a-Nut) to quickly raise or lower your action.

Unfortunately, any chances of getting your Warwick used would be a lot less likely that they have the wide neck option... You would have to get it new through a Warwick dealer of some sort.
    While you are at it, you can get all bolt on necks in a 30", 32", or 35" option because the Jazzman has a bolt on neck.

Hope this helps.

4. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Well there was on the 4 string corvette I had a few years back- surely you just loosen the saddle and move it to the side?

5. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    And a quote from P3 of the Warwick manual:

What makes this bridge even more unique is that you can easily change the string spacing of your Warwick bass! You can do this by loosening the allen set screw that locks the saddle insert into the saddle. Once you have done that, you can then slide the insert back and forth in the saddle. Be sure to lock the set screw down after you have found the desired string spacing to ensure that your adjustments you have made stay put.

6. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY

Holy crud... I never knew that... Man learn something new every day...

Anyways, sorry about that. Cruddy information. I am guessing you can get another .5 mm out of each string... It will be tough because you will eventually run out of neck width. Thanks for the info however, I am going to goof around with this when I get home from work and see what I can break hehe.

7. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Ha no worries! I thought 17mm was about as far as it would go- should be ok even though id prefer 18 or 19mm. I always thought that the wide warwicks were just a bit too wide- somewhere inbetween would be perfect!

Phil

8. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    Yeah, I just Pushed my Thumb BO 5-String out to 17mm. There's about .5mm that I could still get out of this, but I got everything pretty close to perfectly evenly spaced. I found the trick is to push the B & G strings out to the limit of the bridge, then center the E & D strings between the B & G and the A String. That .5mm Really helps!

slappa da beeus likes this.
  9. shaft311

shaft311 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    A Streamer Jazzman is going to have normal string spacing as far as Warwicks go.

The only models with wide string spacing are Streamer Stage I 5/6 string (by default) and some Thumb 5 and 6s as an option.

10. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    Don't forget the Dolphin 4-Strings, and the 1991 & 1992 Dolphin 5 strings. Also there were Streamer LX's in 1996 - 1998, same as the Thumb BO's.