1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick active to passive mode

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LotusCarsLtd52, May 12, 2010.

1. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    I tried a Thumb today with the switchable active/passive mode. When in passive mode I experimented with the controls because I had been told that one of the EQ knobs (treble/bass) serves as a tone knob in passive mode. But I didn't notice anything even when I played with them. Anyone know if there even is a tone knob in passive mode?

2. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    I have a Corvette $$, and with teh bass in passive mode........only the volume, and parallel/single/series controls work.

3. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    In my Infinity SN, the passive mode isn't passive at all; it just ignores the EQ controls.

4. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thumb Bolt-on has active pickups and EQ, with a bypass switch for the EQ. If the battery dies, you're still stuffed.

c-

5. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Neither of my Corvettes did that - only volume and pickup fade worked.

6. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    Any particular model of Thumb? The $$ has the volume and pickup pot working in passive. Depends what electronics are onboard I'd guess

7. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    The Thumb I wasn't sure on. I'd guess German-made. And in passive mode the volume and pup blend (I think) worked but there didn't seem to be the tone knob (as some suggested it didn't).

8. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    It's not an active/passive knob. What it does is bypass the onboard eq, which doesn't seem like a lot but when the battery dies, you can disengage the eq and still play the bass for a little while longer (because the pickups draw less current than with eq). It saved my butt during a performance once where the bass died, I disengaged the eq, kept playing until intermission when I switched the battery.

9. Doman

Doman Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    In my Thumb switch only bypasses the EQ. Pickup balance knob works as before, Vol/Bass are off and do nothing.