1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Alien 5 Standard (RB)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soma666, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    Hi all,

I have just taken delivery of a lefty 5 string Alien Standard. Pretty decent instrument, however, being Rockbass, not without issues.

I had to buy it sight unseen off Fleabay as they are super rare here in Australia, and even rarer in lefty. So it arrived and I noticed the B string was loose and floppy. Tuned it all up and it was fine. Volume on the B string is fairly low. I also noticed heaps of scratches on the back and sides, which makes me suspect this is not a brand new guitar. Fret ends are sharp as well.

Anyway, as with all ebay purchases, its caveat emptor. So I guess I lose.

Main things I want to ask here, is about the amplified volume of the low B, and my suspicion that the Piezo might be damaged or moved. The output volume of the amplified B is much lower than that of the other strings. Does anyone have any ideas or similar experiences with this?

Regards

A.

2. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    Pix or it didnt happen

Attached Files:

3. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    Has no one here had a similar experience

4. eee

eee Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Guess not dawg

5. FollowMeDown

FollowMeDown

Feb 8, 2019
    Yep I had the same thing on my Alien 5 Deluxe. Its almost certainly the bridge.
    It's not sitting on the pickup properly and/or the strings are the wrong size for the notches in the bridge.
    At least on mine, the bridge slot in the saddle (with the pickup at the bottom) is slightly wider than the bone bridge, so the bridge can sit incorrectly at a slight angle and therefore not contact the pickup fully, especially when you re-string it and don't spot that it's 'leaning'.

I suggest replacing the stock bone bridge with a thicker one of a man-made material, to both fit better in the slot and also to get consistent sound transferrance (bone is natural so has inconsistent densities etc leading to inconsistent sound conductivity).

I had a luthier do a setup that included this work. When I took it to him, the B was hardly audible, now its close to being too much.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Sid the Kid likes this.
  6. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    Thanks forthat feedback. It definitely needs work done. My usual guy I have work on my guitars is a top notch dude, pricey, but does great work. He is a big advocate of carving fresh bone nuts for you from scratch. He's done a few for me on electrics and acoustics before. So i am going to take it to him whenI can afford it

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021