Warwick and Basslines

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by buckethdd, May 7, 2002.

1. buckethdd

Jan 15, 2002
    SF, CA
    I have a '97 5 string n/t Thumb bass which I dig. All stock - MEC p/u's and BECIII preamp. I like the tone, except it could use a little more warmth. I am all about the growl and the aggressiveness, which I would like to retain, but would like to make it sound a bit more natural.

I have seen that alot of Warwick users go with Basslines over the MEC's. What I would like to know is, which specific pickups are people getting? part no.? Was there any routing involved or do they fit in easily? Any other information that is helpful?

Thumb users and all Warwick players, please supply some info if you can. I did a search and didn't come up with anything specific, and I asked this question about a month ago with no response. Please divulge any info you may have. Thanks.
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I went down this route a year ago and the general concensus was Barts followed by the odd Alembic vote. I went for the Alembic as I felt it suited fretless (it does).

The guy I ask Warwick questions here is Warwick5s (Jason) but I think all his Warwicks are stock.

Happy hunting

Oh you could try e-mailing http://www.basscentral.com with Grasshopper in the title I jest not.

EDIT-try spacegoats hot jazz thread
  3. that's something I'm very interested too... You see, I have a streamer lx and have the same "problem", if you can call it that... but if I get that information I'll let you know :)
  4. midlife

Nov 21, 2001
    I just got done putting Bartolini 9J1's and a Bart HR3.3 preamp setup in my Thumb Bolt-On. The installation took me a total of about 2 hours. Pretty straight forward.

It gave me a warmer fuller sound while maintaining the punch and clarity, if that makes any sense. IMO

I am glad I made the change.

GO FOR IT!
  5. buckethdd

Jan 15, 2002
    SF, CA
    Thanks for the input. I just went to the Bartolini site, and didn't see the preamp you are referring to. But I think I'm going to go for just the pickups first and see what that does before changing the electronics. I don't seem to get the noise out of the MEC preamp that alot of people complain about, so I'm going to stick with it for now. Plus I've heard that if you go Bartolini, it's wise to use their p/u's with their preamp. So right now it seems that Basslines are still the first option. Anybody using these in their Warwicks? I know some of you guys are...speak up.:) Thanks!
  6. midlife

Nov 21, 2001
    The HR3.3 is a complete wiring harnes which includes the preamp, the pots all wired together. The Thumb Bolt-On has a volume pot, blend pot and a stacked bass/treble pot. The HR3.3 has the same configuration.

I was told by several people that changing the pickups is not enough alone. You should change the preamp also to see the biggest change in the basses voicing.