Warwick and Wenge necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fretlessman71, Jul 26, 2016.

1. fretlessman71

fretlessman71 Still beats havin' a job Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    I have a '97 Warwick Corvette Standard, with a Wenge neck and fingerboard. I'm told this is one of the last years they used Wenge for necks and soon changed to Ovangkol; can anyone confirm this or add more information?

2. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    My two month-old German Pro Series Thumb has an ovangkol neck

3. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! Supporting Member

1997 was the last year for many if not most. Ovangkol took over from there forward. (IIRC)

4. fretlessman71

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    Interesting. I used to discount Warwicks; other people made them sound good, but not me. Then I got ahold of this '97, and within 30 seconds I knew it was for me. Must be the difference between Wenge and Ovangkol for my particular playing style and tone taste. Yumpin' Yiminy, does this bass ever sound GOOD!..... Thanks, ^^3phist0.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  5. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Seattle, Wa
    I have read it was 1998, but my corvette is a 99 with a all Wenge neck. It's a great bass.

6. JonKim

JonKim

Nov 15, 2011
    I have seen 2000 build warwicks with wenge. 98 was the official year of the transition to ovankol but they were still using the wenge that was in stock. And they recently started using wenge again after 2012

BassBuzzRS and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  7. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    I am of the opinion that the pre 2000 models sound better than the later ones, Corvettes in particular.

8. fretlessman71

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    I have no evidence to discredit your theory. :)

9. My Corvette $$ was built in late 2012 and it has a wenge neck.

10. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Wenge is an awesome neck wood. I wonder why they changed. Cost?

11. They said it should not make a difference, but I also prefer wenge necks on a 'wick. Superb!

GBassNorth likes this.
  12. Had two corvettes (standard and fna) and two thumb 5s (bolt on and neck through.

I can't remember the years but I do know all of mine except the corvette standard were purchased new from guitar center after 2001. The standard I picked up used. And the only one I remember having an ovankol neck was the thumb bolt on. That particular bass had much more in your face midrange than anything else I've ever played. Which is great if that's what you want. My neck through thumb which if I remember right had a wenge/bubinga neck with ebony board was much warmer sounding.

They've switched back and forth between woods a few times. Think they are back to using wenge now. I do know one of the big differences in the much older warwicks was the electronics. A lot of the older warwicks out there came with Emg pickups from factory. Don't think they switched to MEC electronics until the late 90s.

Here's some pictures of some of mine

FNA image.jpg
    Thumb bo5 image.jpeg
    Thumb nt5
    image.jpeg The corvette standard I had was always a backup and rarely ever came out of the case. So no pics of that one :(

13. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    With the exception of certain models that had maple necks, all necks were Wenge until 1998. In 1999 they started transitioning to Ovangkol due to shortages of Wenge brought about by instability in supplying countries. In this same year they also transitioned from flush mounted strap lock systems to oversized traditional strap pin and moved to more automated manufacturing.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  14. wneff

wneff

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    I think currently it depends on what series you order. I actually don't like Wenge, but the ovangokol of my 2008 $$ 5 string fretless is great.

15. stacker

stacker Inactive

Feb 24, 2010
    scotland
    Back in 2004, I had two Dolphin Pro 1s, one Ovangkol and the other Boire bodied. Both had Wenge necks, IIRC, but I much preferred the Boire/Wenge combo.

16. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    wenge is awesome

blindrabbit and Doner Designs like this.
  17. oaklandthumb

oaklandthumb Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Midwest USA
    Warwick had brought Wenge necks back as of 2012 on some models as standard. 97-00 is when they starred to phase Wenge out, it's a mixed bag as to what you can find on some models. Wenge and ovankgol are impossible to confuse visually.

18. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I should add that as of 2013ish Wenge became available again for certain models.

Doner Designs likes this.
  19. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    I bought Streamer yesterday, 1996.wenge..my favourite fingerboard wood. after a long years of "avoiding" Wicks. I had couple in the past,Fortress and Thumb. Bass is terrific,light cherry wood,Mec electronics and maple/wenge neck. Put set of new D'addario NYXL 45-100 - I can't let it go off my hands :)

aguacollas likes this.
  20. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    It was actually endangered for a period and unavailable as a result.

Doner Designs likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021