Warwick and wood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sharp, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Artists Relations, KMI
    does Warwick use different grades of woods in different models? I have a dolphin and the wood is full and beautifully figured, but i see alot of corvettes and thumbs and fortresses and mastermans with what looks like lower grade wood.

any thoughts? facts? thanks-
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    The woods in Thumbs and Corvettes aren't a lower grade-they're just a completely different type of wood that has a different look to it.
  3. Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Artists Relations, KMI
    alright, so the corvettes and them all are a different wood, but the thumbs and dolphins are the same wood and i still notice a difference.
    peace again-
  4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    There has to be a difference. I know that Warwick uses at least 3 different types of Bubinga, so it would make sense that Thumbs(NT's) would have a higher grade than the standards. I would also say that the Dolphin Pro's Ovangkol is consistantly of a higher grade, but I have seen mixed grades on the Thumb BO's. Some Thumb BO's have highly flamed Ovangkol, and others are about as plain as the stuff they use for neck woods. It's probobly safe to say that the more expensive the bass, the higher grade the wood.
  5. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    you are correct. they use swirly bubinga, swirly pomelé, and plain bubinga
  6. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    the old dolphins were made of boire, too...do you think that might be the difference? thumbs and dolphins weren't made of the same stuff until just recently when they began making them from ovankol.
  7. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    Neptoon - Just to clarify, in late 2001 the Thumb NT's got upgraded to Bubinga Pomele from std. grade Bubinga and the Thumb BO's are made of Ovankol.

Swirly Bubinga is custom shop only, with the exception of the limited edition Corvette from last year.

The Dolphin NT's are made of Ovankol and the set neck's are Afzelia.

Hope this helps.