Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick AW XV active subwoofer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkSlapRumblefish, Jul 20, 2001.

1. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    Here is a description of this product: http://www.warwickbass.com/amps/amps05.htm ....

Can someone please tell me what this does and how it works!? I've never seen a cab that looks like this and I could possibly get one if I find out what it's function is :D! Please help, it will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks.

-FSR

2. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    It is self powerd! It doesnt need a amp! Get it? Kinda like a home theater sub woofer! You plug it in and it has its own power! *I didnt know warwick had these! The only ones i ever played with was in branson at a gig and myers made them! Theya re great ideas for speaker cabs! But dont get me wrong you might not need a power amp to get it going but you will still need a pre-amp!

3. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    I have the Warwick CCL combo, which they say can run this subwoofer... but what does it actually do??? Increase wattage/volume, give more 'bass' to the combo, or what??? I guess I'm an idiot when it comes to this type stuff ;). Thanks.

-FSR

4. JohnP

JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner Guitars, DTAR, Seymour Duncan,
    Fish!
    where were you when I asked about this a week ago? Nobody replied on 3 forums..I called Warwick, actually Dana B Goods, the Warwick distributor in Cal..their tech, a very nice interesting courteous guy, had NO specs either. he emailed Warwick-we'll see if they get an answer. the cab has been around for 3 years..I thought at least one of the german bassists would have piped in by now.

The tech told me that it was an ok cab, just "not very loud"..how loud? didn't know..no specs..300 watts..that says nothing. It is a band pass cab, but nobody knows what it's tuned to either.

I know where there's a new one for cost, which is why I got interested in it- to bottom out my ashdown combo..but I haven't taken my amp over there yet.

5. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    That's kinda weird, how no one knows much about it... maybe it's just not very popular :confused:. Well, thanks for the help anyway, and if you get a reply from Warwick, please let me know about what they say. Thanks! :)

-FSR

6. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I'd assume it's just what it says it is...an active sub! It most likely not make a very appealing noise if used solo. It is probably ment to add that kick in the chest sub-audible bass thump wall rumbling goodness :)

7. I'm not at all surprised. :D

Fender, Sunn, Mesa-Boogie, Peavey, Warwick, and the others all seem to be caught up in this crap of refusing to disclose the specs of their products. These vendors are apparently relying on selling product based on hype, marketing, and their reputations. IMO they would die in the audiophile world with this attitude.

Peavey at least will tell you the tuning freuquency of their cabs so you can make an educated decision to not buy any of the smaller cabs because you play a 5 string, and they are all tuned too high.

"Not very loud" has significant impact. My pair of 15" subwoofers are not very loud by design, because they are flat down to 31 Hz. I push my subs with a 3,000 watt amp to get around "not very loud." I don't think 300 watts will do much for you, especially if it is a true subwoofer design.