Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick B-string buzz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by incognito89x, Oct 8, 2002.

1. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I just got my Warwick Corvette Standard, and it sounds great. But I can't stop the B string from buzzing. :confused: Even a light touch causes some buzzing. Slapping it sounds terrible (Un-amped) It doesn't sound TOO bad when playng with the Amp on, but it's still nagging me. I've tried adjusting quite a few things but to no avail. the E A D G strings all sound fine, but the B is buzzing and it's really annoying me.

Anyone have some advice/help on what to do? Thanks.

2. Do a search over in the setup forum. String rattles are a fairly common problem.

3. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I found more...

[​IMG]

That's where the problem lies.

When I put pressure on the B string above the "Just-a-nut" the rattling stops. I've tried adjusting the "Just-a-nut" but it doesn't seem to help no matter where i set the height to.

4. Hmmm. Thats why I don't like that headstock style on 5ers. I don't own a Warwick, but I've read alot about them, and IIRC, many people replace the Just A Nut. If the nut seems to be the problem, you may want to just replace it. I'd recommend a brass one, but thats just me.

5. it's not the nut that causes the problem here.. it's proper string winding.. ;)

6. I thought that it could be the problem, and thats why I referred the search. But you can't see how low on the post it is. It very well may be the problem, but I can't tell based on that pic alone.

7. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Care to explain? I just got the bass today (used). Every thing is in good shape (as far as I could tell) I adjusted a couple things in the setup more to my liking and noticed the buzz (I couldn't hear it when playing through the amp, but i noticed it when I was playing hte strings later on)

Do you see something that's not done correctly on the bass... or?

8. ok.. how many string windings do you have around your tuner-posts ? if i look at that B-string, the first thing that comes to my mind, is that it's not properly wound on the tuner-post.

9. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    [​IMG]

The G and D strings are wrapped around the tuning peg 3 times.

The A and E are wrapped twice.

The B is wrapped 4 times around.

I take it that's not a good thing?

10. Ah yes.. i see it now... you've overlapped the windings on the B-string.. not good.. better cut about an inch off it dude.. 2 1/2 to 3 windings is enough..

if you overlap, you'll lose tension for some reason.. :(

11. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Alright. I'll do that. Thanks a lot. Everything else seems to be in workng order, and I couldn't tell when I played with the amp.