1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick B-string buzz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by incognito89x, Oct 8, 2002.

1. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I just got my Warwick Corvette Standard, and it sounds great. But I can't stop the B string from buzzing. :confused: Even a light touch causes some buzzing. Slapping it sounds terrible (Un-amped) It doesn't sound TOO bad when playng with the Amp on, but it's still nagging me. I've tried adjusting quite a few things but to no avail. the E A D G strings all sound fine, but the B is buzzing and it's really annoying me.

Anyone have some advice/help on what to do? Thanks.

2. Do a search over in the setup forum. String rattles are a fairly common problem.

3. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I found more...

[​IMG]

That's where the problem lies.

When I put pressure on the B string above the "Just-a-nut" the rattling stops. I've tried adjusting the "Just-a-nut" but it doesn't seem to help no matter where i set the height to.

4. Hmmm. Thats why I don't like that headstock style on 5ers. I don't own a Warwick, but I've read alot about them, and IIRC, many people replace the Just A Nut. If the nut seems to be the problem, you may want to just replace it. I'd recommend a brass one, but thats just me.

5. it's not the nut that causes the problem here.. it's proper string winding.. ;)

6. I thought that it could be the problem, and thats why I referred the search. But you can't see how low on the post it is. It very well may be the problem, but I can't tell based on that pic alone.

7. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Care to explain? I just got the bass today (used). Every thing is in good shape (as far as I could tell) I adjusted a couple things in the setup more to my liking and noticed the buzz (I couldn't hear it when playing through the amp, but i noticed it when I was playing hte strings later on)

Do you see something that's not done correctly on the bass... or?

8. ok.. how many string windings do you have around your tuner-posts ? if i look at that B-string, the first thing that comes to my mind, is that it's not properly wound on the tuner-post.

9. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    [​IMG]

The G and D strings are wrapped around the tuning peg 3 times.

The A and E are wrapped twice.

The B is wrapped 4 times around.

I take it that's not a good thing?

10. Ah yes.. i see it now... you've overlapped the windings on the B-string.. not good.. better cut about an inch off it dude.. 2 1/2 to 3 windings is enough..

if you overlap, you'll lose tension for some reason.. :(

11. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Alright. I'll do that. Thanks a lot. Everything else seems to be in workng order, and I couldn't tell when I played with the amp.